• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Held at gun point because of the HEMI 426

Plan on spending plenty of time there, I’ve been several times and still want to go back, thinking I missed something.

One of the cool things about Big Daddy's place (As if being Big Daddy's place wasn't enough) is how diverse the collection is. you expect race stuff.. (and you won't be disappointed) but there are classics and customs, there's tractors & air raid sirens... All sorts of cool stuff, much of it older than we are... Awesome place... And Don is often on grounds and is usually happy to talk with ya...

I'll be in Ocala for work next week. I went to the museum back in 2017 another time when I was in the area for work.

Reminds me of the last time I went to the Nationals, many years ago...
Mr. Garlits was there, along with Shirley, Tom Hoover and lots of "royalty", so that will give you
an idea of just how many years ago I'm referring to.
They all assembled around tables under a tent for an appearance and just before that event began,
I was chatting with Ms. Muldowney while getting her autograph when Don came by...
He said something like "come on woman, we gotta go do this thing" and gave me the look of
"shove off now son, she's busy". :)
She instead grabbed my hand and said "come on, let's get something to eat" - and took me with
her to the tent!

I got to sit right next to her at the table, Don right on her other side - and those two held court
for what seemed like forever, bantering and telling tales...
Eventually the event died out and my friends gave up on me, seeing I wasn't interested in anything
else other than sitting there and watching and listening to all the "royalty" as they formed a little tight
circle with their chairs and continued the informal gathering afterwards.
I wasn't leaving until they threw my *** out, no way!

A couple hours later, they disbanded one by one eventually...and I was numb from meeting so many
of my "heroes", to the point I had forgotten where we'd parked that morning and such (and this was
in the day before cell phones), so I would wind up getting a ride back to the motel, hoping to meet up with
the rest of our group eventually (and eating junk food out of the hotel snack machine, since I hadn't
eaten all afternoon).

I've always been like that - when even as a kid, when older relatives got together, I'd sit quietly to one
side and just listen to their stories, watching them cut up and tell tales and such.
Mama called it "visitin'" - I still do that to this day whenever there's a gathering of folks I think I can
glean something useful or important off of, too.
Little did I know the course life would take me from that last Nationals, though - and I'd never be back
again, never to have the opportunity to meet any of the royalty again (and never to see Chelsea or
even Columbus again).
With all my family gone now too, I guess that ship has long sailed as well...

I've never been to Mr. Garlits' museum. Don't reckon that's in the cards at this point either - but I'd sure
like to, if only to shake his hand one more time.
You younger folks out there? Listen to me here....
Take every opportunity you can to visit and listen with these historic figures and places!
You never know what's coming and whether you'll get another chance to do so, trust me.

Would you not say that to Big Daddy, upon his meeting RC ? :lol:

But of course!

The funny thing is that when I was there in 1985, I called ahead to ask what the hours were & Big Daddy himself answered the phone & I got to talk with him for a minute or two. He told me how he used to race on the runway at Sanford, ME airport back in the day.

But of course!
I called ahead to ask what the hours were & Big Daddy himself answered the phone & I got to talk with him for a minute or two.
1708189861529.png
< "Sometime back around 1985, I answered my phone. And, would you believe it ? Richard Cranium, of FBBO fame was on the phone, & I got to talk to him for a minute or two ! "

Auto Transport Service
Back