• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hello!

MoparWarrior

Local time
2:31 AM
Reaction score
:ufo:I was searching for some info. and found myself at this great site.
Thanks to everyone who have and continue to take time to post about the joy of owning, buying, restoring, etc. these awesome Mopars.
I have been a big fan of mopars for about 20 years, I was really hooked when as a teenager, I rebuilt my first mopar engine. It was a 318 that came out of a '75 Plymouth Sport Fury and went into a '74 Plymouth Duster. Those two vehicles were my first Mopars and my love for Mopars grew. I have owned a '80 Chrysler Cordoba 2 door slant 6, a 1975 Dodge Dart slant 6, a '72 Dodge Charger project and a '73 Dodge Charger SE 400 4B A727 slap stick all original. I wish I still had the chargers! All these were daily drivers for many years except the Charger project. The '73 Charger was the fastest car I ever drove. It had a lot of top end, too much for me to find where it ended! Not sure what the gear ratio was in the rear but it must have been high. Since I was 12 years old, I always wanted the car my Daddy frequently talked about owning. He owned a '72 or '73 Road Runner.
He bought it brand new and said it had a 340 in it. I don't know if the 340 was offered as an option in a '73, so his might have been a '72. He said all he did was put on headers, a high rise intake and in his words, he said "the car would fly". He said nothing around could keep up with the bird.
Anyway, he rolled it about 8 times and obviously, lived to tell the tale.
He currently has a '71 Chevy Chevelle with a 350, big cam, headers and 4 speed--I think. He said he always wanted that make and model. Shame on him for not wanting a '68,69,70 RR or Charger...so he could have, one day, "willed" it to me!:sad2: Just kidding, I love my Dad and wouldn't take any car or any amount of money in his place.
I currently have four Plymouth projects. One '72 RR clone, it has a built 360, 750 double pumper, headers, purple cam, one '73 original RR with a 318, A906, one '74 Sat with a 383 A727, and one '72 mystery car, could be an original RR or clone. So yes, I'm partial to RR's! The previous owner of the mystery car bought it from "some guys" that turned it into a dragster. They removed the build tag and VIN when they removed the dash to put in a "no thrills" dash with toggle switches.
The only reason I bought the car is because it was cheap and has no rust in the floor pans or trunk area and very minimal external body rust. I couldn't believe the lack of rust. The frame is rust free as well. Anyway, why the morons "gutted" and turned such a rust free car into a dragster, I'll never understand! The only thing they did positive, is they put a pretty decent paint job on it. The PO took out the 440 and trans to put in his Challenger, so that's another reason I got it cheap. I couldn't resist, especially after I looked and seen how good the body was. There is a tag on the inside of the drivers door but it has some paint on it. I might be able to rub the paint off so the numbers can be read. If so, maybe it can be looked up on the net?
I want to restore these cars to show quality or close to it. I have a couple of engines, but they will need rebuilding. A 440 with 43,000 miles from a 1976 motor home and a 383 from a 1968 Plymouth Fury. There are so many options for these two engines and it's going to be a challenge for me to figure out the direction I want to go with all the different performance options. I want the engines to be powerful but streetable at the same time. I read that the motor home 440 has unique heads for more cooling capacity and most advice was to change the heads to 452--I think?
There is so much to find and read on the net and trying to remember it all is my biggest problem! My only help is from my 11 year old, so It's going to be a long, long, long, long road, until he gets old enough to do it all for me--HAHA!
I would like/want to do these cars right and not "half a$$ed". A frame-off restore is what I want to do and being a body/paint newbie, I have a lot to learn. At least I have a lot to practice on! Anyway, this seems to be a great site for many topics on "DIY and How To's". Thanks again to all that take time to post what you have learned and by helping others. It's good to be here!:headbang:

Welcome to the site Moparwarrior . you will find great help here. I'm also doing a Roadrunner. Check out my Resto Thread thread on the Golden Rotisserie Chicken. Good luck on your projects.

Welcome to FBBO from way out west!

Welcome aboard Mopar Warrior!

A couple of comments on your post:
1) Yes a 340 was available in 1973. I have a Roadrunner that I gave to my son for his 16th birthday. It is a numbers matching 340/727 slap stik car, with 3.55 sure grip and AC (don't laugh - it's awfully nice in the summer with a black vinyl interior!)

2) For your mystery car. Yes, there should be a VIN on a tag on the drivers door. If you carefully scrape some paint off, you may see the VIN. Also, the VIN should be on a fender tag mounted on the inner fender. Finally, there are a couple of places a VIN derivative is stamped on the body (radiator support maybe? - I don't exactly remember where). At any rate, any of these should help you determine what the car is.

Good luck with your projects!

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome. The fender tag is gone. The sticker inside the door jam has paint on it and some of the VIN letters or numbers have been, what looks like deliberately "scratched" out. The guy I bought this car from said he didn't have a title and that the car originally came from Georgia, another reason it was so cheap. After those "guys" turned it into a dragster, the car ended up at a car lot. He gave me the bill of sale from the little car lot he bought it from, which is located in Anderson, SC. I have looked and the only info. listed on the bill of sale is the date(2-22-11), the car lot's name, the price and the PO's info. No VIN. I may have bought a stolen car! He did say that the car lot told him that they would get it registered for him, but he said they never did and I guess it wasn't important enough to him to get it straightened out since he had plans for a Challenger.
I don't know what all it involves to get a car registered that doesn't have a VIN, if that can even be done. Anyway, if anyone could give me some helpful advice and maybe some other possible VIN locations, I would appreciate it. This car is just too nice to become a parts car but that may be my only option. I'll try to take some pics of my projects when and after the weather improves.

Welcome to the Forum Mopar Warrior! This sounds like a sticky situmagation, There is other places on the car that does have the VIN stamped in just in case of things such as this, being stolen. I hope it works out good, im not sure where to tell you to look, one place seems like it was under the trunk seal, radiator support, but im just not sure. I know theres a few guys here that can tell you where to look, but im not sure it would help, I think i would call the DMV and speak to them and see what they say gos in your state... Honestly the best rule is never ever buy a car without a title or proper paper work. wish i could help more. Good luck and looking forward to some pics..

Welcome to FBBO MoparWarrior!

You will enjoy this site - Lots of good people and information

If you can find the time, please post some pictures of your cars - We Love pictures

Enjoy the site

Ma Snart

My 71 Charger for your viewing pleasure - More pictures of my Mopars in my gallery

Attachments

• 71 Charger Driver Side View #3.jpg
    71 Charger Driver Side View #3.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 132
Thanks everyone for the warm welcome. The fender tag is gone. The sticker inside the door jam has paint on it and some of the VIN letters or numbers have been, what looks like deliberately "scratched" out. The guy I bought this car from said he didn't have a title and that the car originally came from Georgia, another reason it was so cheap. After those "guys" turned it into a dragster, the car ended up at a car lot. He gave me the bill of sale from the little car lot he bought it from, which is located in Anderson, SC. I have looked and the only info. listed on the bill of sale is the date(2-22-11), the car lot's name, the price and the PO's info. No VIN. I may have bought a stolen car! He did say that the car lot told him that they would get it registered for him, but he said they never did and I guess it wasn't important enough to him to get it straightened out since he had plans for a Challenger.
I don't know what all it involves to get a car registered that doesn't have a VIN, if that can even be done. Anyway, if anyone could give me some helpful advice and maybe some other possible VIN locations, I would appreciate it. This car is just too nice to become a parts car but that may be my only option. I'll try to take some pics of my projects when and after the weather improves.

Check VIN on the radiator support on drivers side between support and top tank of radiator.

Some Mopars supposedly have the VIN "on windshield cowl on drivers side, inboard of wiper motor opening and inside of cowl weatherstrip". Others have it on the trunk lip. I am no expert here for which years/models have what, but I think the radiator support is the safest. Start there...

welcome to fbbo

Auto Transport Service
Back