• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help with pinion seal!

prvtmotors

Local time
5:19 AM
Reaction score
Finally getting around to changing this leaky rear pinion seal and after a tough fight, I finally got it removed. The original one was still in place with a part number showing 1828719. Went to Oreilly to get a replacement and they gave me this. https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/...automotive-car-1969-plymouth-roadrunner?pos=0

Obviously not the same thing as this new one doesn't even seal anything. What am I missing here???? Does oreilly or autozone sell a proper replacement or do I just need to ebay a NOS one with the same part number as the one that came out???

Photo on 2-20-24 at 3.44 PM.jpg

That style of seal in the link is common now. You need to specify what rear end housing you have. Can't go by the book so much because our cars had parts swapped around for the last 45 years or so. On the side of the housing you will have a large casting number ending with 741, 742 or 489. I believe the pinion seal is unique to each of them. As a rough guide as to what year goes with what third member, the 741 is 1967 and older, 742 is 1968 and probably early 69, the 489 is 1969 and up.

The book doesn't know the housing numbers, they go by the pinion size:

741 is 1 3/8
742 is 1 3/4
489 is 1 7/8

That style of seal in the link is common now. You need to specify what rear end housing you have. Can't go by the book so much because our cars had parts swapped around for the last 45 years or so. On the side of the housing you will have a large casting number ending with 741, 742 or 489. I believe the pinion seal is unique to each of them. As a rough guide as to what year goes with what third member, the 741 is 1967 and older, 742 is 1968 and probably early 69, the 489 is 1969 and up.

A little hard to tell but I'm gonna go with 742 here....

IMG_5376.jpg

742 is correct. DrDiff is a good resource for Mopar rears.

And you likely know, you’ll need a “drift” to install it. I think I used a piece of hardware store threaded pipe nipple with a screw on cap on one end. Grease & Tap gently until it seats, then drive it home more forcefully. You’ll need an impact to tighten that but for sure

Originals were C/R Chicago Rawhide think same as above 18*****.

Thank you all for your help, I have a timken 7216 getting delivered tomorrow! Hopefully putting the new one on is easier than removing the original one today!

Did you order 2? Last time I went through the same thing and it took a while to find the correct part. Anytime something like that happens and the part is fairly inexpensive I just order multiples for next time. You also never know if next time you need it they may not even manufacture the part any more.

pinion seal for the 741 and 489 cases are the same Timken 5126 or SKF 18708 ,, your 742 case uses Timken 7216 or SKF 18912 ,, these are rubber seals i use them all the time on my builds even though it states leather on some listings ,, i don't think anyone has made leather seals for a very long time if you do get one it is very , very old stock.

Current 7216 are rubber. Here is the last one I put on, it failed and it had to be replaced. I bought one for a 742 from Dr Diff and it works great, no leaks.

Auto Transport Service
Back