• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help with wiring Summit Racing Ready To Run Distributor and Coil

Pitbill

Local time
8:40 PM
Reaction score
Hello guys, maybe someone can help me. Just rebuilt my 67 Coronet's 440 engine and getting it ready to fire up for the first time and wanting to get the wiring correct before I attempt. Installing the Summit Racing Ready to Run Electronic Distributor and Summit's Street Coil. Wiring installation instructions for the distributor are very limited and only says to "connect red wire to 12 volt switched, orange to coil negative, and black to engine ground" and says nothing about bypassing the ballast resistor. Coil had no instructions at all nor any info on using a ballast resistor, but I assuming it is pretty similar to a stock coil and still needs the ballast.

From what I am reading I still need to use the ballast for the coil only, but need to splice into one of the wires before the ballast for the distributor to get the 12 v "switched". My question is exactly which wire will I splice into? I have a 2 point ballast with one grayish blue wire going to one side and the other side of the ballast has one blue wire and one brown wire with the blue wire going to the coil. Can anyone tell me which wire I need to splice into for the distributor to run on the required "12 volt switched"?

I hope someone can understand what I am trying to describe. Thanks guys.

I hooked a volt meter up and checked with the ignition switch turned on...both of the blue wires running into each side of the ballist read 12 volts, so it should be safe to splice into either of these I am assuming for the distributor "red" wire? I chose the one that was on the side without the brown wire also attached to the plug.

Auto Transport Service
Back