• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hemi auto or 440 six pack 4spd, which one?

What would you choose?

• Total voters
Well I will say 440 -6 .4 speed. There just more fun to drive I would get board of the hemi with the auto. I can shift a 4 speed faster then an auto (at least as if now) in 40 years from now probably will have a different answer.
Now if the hemi had the 4 speed I'd still probably go with the 440-6 just to keep costs down running building ect. I'm assuming your buying this car to fix and keep plus all the extra parts cars is nice to have them you have the problem of finding the hemi and so on.

440-6 4 speed

Having owned auto & 4 speed Hemis & 440 six packs, I personally feel that the Hemi is better suited for an automatic on the street & I think that a 440-6 with a stick is more fun than a 440-6 automatic. If you are building a race car, go with the hemi, but if you want a fun street car, hands down, go with the 440-6.

It's like Brewer's says.Real muscle cars have three pedals.heh heh.

Probably if they had Hemi 4 speed compared to 6 pack 4 speed that the Hemi would run away with the poll..

True. Gotta give the RB a chance with most.

Lets take this a step further. Hypothetically, its a 70 V code bee or a 68 HEMI coronet. Both complete projects. Both in about the same condition, both pretty close to the same price. Both red, with white stripes. Bee is a ramcharger hood. HEMI car is missing all the drive train and correct K frame, bee has 4spd and dana, no engine.

Other than a wing car or A12, I would say never say no to a hemi.

The 440 will be faster off the line for sure. But the Hemi will wake up at Mid track and destroy the 440. When was the last time anyone got excited at a 440 at a car show vs a Hemi? It's like a woman with big knockers or small ones!

Maybe it should have been opened up to Max wedge cars also. :headbang: 63 Savoy.jpg

nothing like the feeling of a torque'y 440 hooked to a 4 speed. A real V code car is a pretty cool thing, its a hemi car without the hemi. owning a hemi i will say they are expensive. their much more finicky than a 440. once something gets a little off they will fall flat on their face. if its gonna be a show queen nothing beats the look of a hemi. if its something your gonna want to climb in everyday and hammer it to the beer store and back it would go to the 440. at least that's what i like to do with my 440+6.

View attachment 299260How about.... a hemi with an aftermarket 6bbl manifold? I have seen hemi 6 pack manifolds for sale from summit, etcetera. So i would go for hemi 6 pack with 4 speed. Wait... nevermind, I'd put in an aftermarket 5 or 6 speed gearbox it.

Last edited:
hey guys... mopar performance makes a hemi 6 pack manifold....

I took an email poll with most of my mopar buds. Over 90% of them would rather have a hemi anything, than any other mopar. This included guys with modern mopars thru 6-cyl guys. I always wanted hemi cars, and got around to having them in later life. DEFINITELY worth the effort and time for me to get there.

Auto Transport Service
Back