• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How close are modern paint formulas to vintage colors ?

My PPG rep does a great job. My brother runs a Resto shop and we’ve been doing this for years for the guys wanting PPG. On my car the rep called the library and got me single stage and BC/CC sample. I knew I was going CC anyways but wanted to test the single and yes the single was almost dead nuts to match my original paint. I compared it to the original paint where I pulled the brake booster off. It had never seen daylight. I went with Deltron base and used their new Custom Clear and holy crap does it pop, the best clear we’ve ever used. The single stage is closer to the original on my F4 paint but man that Deltron with custom clear is amazing what it does to the original paint code.
Did you CC the engine bay ? pictures ?

Yes. I’ve since then reconfigured the AC compressor, lines and replaced most bolts with 12 point ARP trying to clean it up a bit. I forgot to drop my extended antennas back down. I was showing some guys how long it extends out lol.

B3C725A3-C58E-45CA-9BB4-7D90FA3DC3D1.jpeg

0145E897-D9D8-42D0-9671-B6962466E5A6.jpeg

7501BB9C-B617-4FAB-80DC-886CBC5DBD55.jpeg

Thanks..looks great. So let me see, you used single stage (whole car) and then CC right ?
No I used BC/CC on all of the car. I was just stating the single stage looked a little closer to the original, the BC looks fairly close also. Here’s a video of it if you can open up Tik Tok. I plan on making a battery cover to cover up the yellow optima one of these days.

Last edited:
881 ........ bright blue

don't let the lighting fool ya, this color is all over the place
Ok, yes I know. My brother's car was painted at tech school, same color, or matched the best they could.
20230813_141213.jpg

20230518_200157.jpg
20230518_192947.jpg

Just a couple more...

Here he's extolling the virtues of bbodiesonly for all the help he got putting the car together :lol:

So how close are modern paint formulas to vintage colors ? In 1962 there was no BC/CC. I have the 1962 paint codes which was emanel (I think) Luminous Cordovan met paint code " S "& Luminous Brown met paint code " Y " . Both can still be made as single stage and as BC/CC. I am thinking of painting the engine bay with single stage. But I would think the body will be in BC/CC.
My steering columm and dash cluster pod are the orginal paint ( luminous Cordovan) . By the Luminous Cordovan is a Burgundy Metallic . So how close wil the modrn paint match the orgial color ??
I have had excellent matching with acrylic enamel over the years. Suggest you go with it. In more recent years with BC CC it has been good except for one bad match with a Chrysler Go Grassy colour which was too yellow until i had the shop custom match it to an existing panel. The one difference is that the existing was not factory and was a water based BC. Like someone said if u go BCCC it may look more glossy than u wish. Actually I prefer acrylic enamel than bccc always, however I have had one shop say they can match the code only with bccc. Not sure I buy that story though.

So how close are modern paint formulas to vintage colors ? In 1962 there was no BC/CC. I have the 1962 paint codes which was emanel (I think) Luminous Cordovan met paint code " S "& Luminous Brown met paint code " Y " . Both can still be made as single stage and as BC/CC. I am thinking of painting the engine bay with single stage. But I would think the body will be in BC/CC.
My steering columm and dash cluster pod are the orginal paint ( luminous Cordovan) . By the Luminous Cordovan is a Burgundy Metallic . So how close wil the modrn paint match the orgial color ??

I have researched Colors in depth on restoration process and found 95% of dash Restorations primarily the Paint is incorrect. The first paint sprayed on a Chevy Dash is the shiniest Paint that can be prurchased and sprayed. Is that correct? That’s up to the person choosing color Hugh and tone of that for a Chevy. When it comes to a Dodge or Chrysler on the other hand and definitely 1966 forward these Dash Boards were never painted in a High Gloss paint. As a Matter of fact in my research a particular Powder was added to my paint when I sprayed the Dash Structure. These Dash Boards were painted in a nice Matt Finish on each car I presume so reflection from the sun would not be so hard on the operators eyes. Just my interpretation. So when you see these shiny Dash Boards just realize the care to restore was sprayed over rather than proper care and Research being used. I installed a picture of my restored 66 Charger this is one of several I have restored I use the same materials with each Restoration.

I have researched Colors in depth on restoration process and found 95% of dash Restorations primarily the Paint is incorrect. The first paint sprayed on a Chevy Dash is the shiniest Paint that can be prurchased and sprayed. Is that correct? That’s up to the person choosing color Hugh and tone of that for a Chevy. When it comes to a Dodge or Chrysler on the other hand and definitely 1966 forward these Dash Boards were never painted in a High Gloss paint. As a Matter of fact in my research a particular Powder was added to my paint when I sprayed the Dash Structure. These Dash Boards were painted in a nice Matt Finish on each car I presume so reflection from the sun would not be so hard on the operators eyes. Just my interpretation. So when you see these shiny Dash Boards just realize the care to restore was sprayed over rather than proper care and Research being used. I installed a picture of my restored 66 Charger this is one of several I have restored I use the same materials with each Restoration.

IMG_4474.jpeg

Auto Transport Service
Back