• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How do you get rid of squirrels

GetX'd

Making Life Great Again!
Local time
1:44 AM
Reaction score
This is kind of ridiculous but it is what it is. I live in the burbs and created a nice patio garden. So for the last # of years I’ve had one scrawny little squirrel running around - Well I think that guy finally took the dirt nap and now I have two other much healthier and active little shits coming in multiple times a day. Not a big deal - but is getting to be by their continuously digging holes down by the root head of a fairly expensive patio tree as well as other plants etc. No matter what I do these little pricks are back the next day digging the same holes and more repeatedly. I don’t get it because there’s nothing different about those spots from one day to the next - w/the exception of my filling them in and patting them down. I don’t want to hurt them - I just want them to leave my stuff alone or go some where else and disappear. How do I make this happen?

An owl statue?

sprinkle Red Chyenne pepper around where they are digging
it might help, worked here with grey squirrels

They did & still burry acorns all over,
oak sprouts up from the acorns they forget/leave in the ground

My dog runs them off, or barks & they take off "usually"
we have a crapload of acorns around here
those lil' buggers mess with my dog too, big time

Elvis caught one, we called Rocky he was a brave SOB
sit on the fence or on top of the deck handrail & chatter at my dog
he'd torment him

Elvis got a nasty bite from it too, he was just carrying it,
not trying to kill it, I assume to show me he caught it
until it bit him
the squirrel didn't survive
my dog did

The rest younger ones, have stayed away for the most part since
the older ones get really bold

We have quite a few cats, 3 neighbor's cats,
help keep them away too

yE3W22.gif

OK, maybe not where you live.
Go to your local hardware store and pick up a live trap. Once caught, take them to KernDog's place and drop them off. I guess you could also drop them at a state park several miles from your place.

An owl statue?
we have them for Acorn woodpeckers, black & white one
M-fers putting holes in my house trim everywhere
& allegedly for squirrels too, they don't work that well, for either

you need something that moves
at least for peckers, not sure about if that would work on the squirrels
or shinny like a CD/Disc hanging

They can be live trapped with peanuts for bait. Problem my neighbor discovered is if you relocate one it’s like someone sends out a vacancy notice and another one (or two) moves in. He called it his free peanut and ride to the country program. He must have hauled off 15 or 20 of them before he figured out it was a losing effort. Be sure the beggars can’t get in your attic. They gnawed a hole in the fascia boards of my wife’s cousin’s older house and we had to hire a trapper to get them out. He trapped 3 of them up there.

View attachment 1613808
Go to your local hardware store and pick up a live trap. Once caught, take them to KernDog's place and drop them off. I guess you could also drop them at a state park several miles from your place.
X2 on the pellet gun.
Oh I thought long & hard about that option too

They are a protected animal in some place, be careful, check the laws/rules
remember he's in a suburb in LA area Calif., some eco-activist will rat him out

them G-Damn Acorn peckers are a protected species :BangHead:
not sure about the grey squirrels
red squirrels may be

Last edited:
I've been here for 40 years and so far, so good. I do put out some food for them and have some that come up to me looking for food and a couple of them will come into the shop looking for something to eat.....

Some states/counties do not permit the relocation of wild animals. You will be fined if you're caught.

Squirrels won't come around if there is a domestic cat around. If they do come around, then it won't be more than once.

This is kind of ridiculous but it is what it is. I live in the burbs and created a nice patio garden. So for the last # of years I’ve had one scrawny little squirrel running around - Well I think that guy finally took the dirt nap and now I have two other much healthier and active little shits coming in multiple times a day. Not a big deal - but is getting to be by their continuously digging holes down by the root head of a fairly expensive patio tree as well as other plants etc. No matter what I do these little pricks are back the next day digging the same holes and more repeatedly. I don’t get it because there’s nothing different about those spots from one day to the next - w/the exception of my filling them in and patting them down. I don’t want to hurt them - I just want them to leave my stuff alone or go some where else and disappear. How do I make this happen?
Gray squirrel or red squirrel? Red ones have no fear. They are worse than gray squirrels IMO.

View attachment 1613808
This is the one I like the best so far ….. but got to remember where I live….. I could do life here in this completely “squirrel & rat” infested state.

Last edited:
Gray squirrel or red squirrel? Red ones have no fear. They are worse than gray squirrels IMO.
I think that old one that I don’t see any more may have been red - and yes he had NO fear. These are gray for sure - not too timid either…

sprinkle Red Chyenne pepper around where they are digging
it might help, worked here with grey squirrels

They did & still burry acorns all over,
oak sprouts up from the acorns they forget/leave in the ground

My dog runs them off, or barks & they take off "usually"
we have a crapload of acorns around here
those lil' buggers mess with my dog too, big time

Elvis caught one, we called Rocky he was a brave SOB
sit on the fence or on top of the deck handrail & chatter at my dog
he'd torment him

Elvis got a nasty bite from it too, he was just carrying it,
not trying to kill it, I assume to show me he caught it
until it bit him
the squirrel didn't survive
my dog did

The rest younger ones, have stayed away for the most part since
the older ones get really bold

We have quite a few cats, 3 neighbor's cats,
help keep them away too
I’m applying the red pepper theory as we speak. I had thought maybe something like that - but wasn’t sure what would be effective. Those suckers are going to go before I do….

I have a 7mm Magnum but maybe that’s over kill …..

Auto Transport Service
Back