• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How do you get rid of squirrels

This is kind of ridiculous but it is what it is. I live in the burbs and created a nice patio garden. So for the last # of years I’ve had one scrawny little squirrel running around - Well I think that guy finally took the dirt nap and now I have two other much healthier and active little shits coming in multiple times a day. Not a big deal - but is getting to be by their continuously digging holes down by the root head of a fairly expensive patio tree as well as other plants etc. No matter what I do these little pricks are back the next day digging the same holes and more repeatedly. I don’t get it because there’s nothing different about those spots from one day to the next - w/the exception of my filling them in and patting them down. I don’t want to hurt them - I just want them to leave my stuff alone or go some where else and disappear. How do I make this happen?
Sprinkle black pepper on the ground and Wah Lah. Problem solved.

There's various sprays that you can buy at your local home center.around $20. Some are more noxious than others but won't have a long term effect. I use those on my side yard where's people leave deposit's when walking their dogs. I supplement it with pee.

we have them for Acorn woodpeckers, black & white one
M-fers putting holes in my house trim everywhere
& allegedly for squirrels too, they don't work that well, for either

you need something that moves
at least for peckers, not sure about if that would work on the squirrels
or shinny like a CD/Disc hanging
Had to buy a Owl yesterday from Lowes. Damn wood peckers pecked a hole in the gables where I’m working. Damn.
4E682F8A-00A2-4D45-9A0B-09952F4192D7.jpeg

hav-a-hart box trap and rehome them elsewhere…..

Trapping and relocating wildlife in my area is a $10,000 fine per animal if you get caught. Might be a federal thing. The concern is about spreading disease more than the animal not surviving in unfamiliar territory.

Humane Relocation.... :rofl: Funny story from my past... Years ago I had a job where a buddy & I exchanged driving duties a week at a time... One morning during his week he mentioned he needed to stop along our drive... He stopped & released one of the dozens of stray cats from his neighborhood... We went on in to work & didn't give it a second thought... Next day he had another, we stopped at the same spot and as he was pulling the cage out of the back of his truck two coyotes popped their heads out of the tall grass nearby... We released the second cat a few miles away & he gave up on his relocation plan......

I have 3 cats, they are inside/outside cats. I don't have rodents. This includes rabbits the size of a basketball and whatever else they think might be yummy. I had to take the one rabbit away, it was left on the front porch. My cat got MAD at me about that. (I live in nowheresville, nowhere county)

You could buy some D-Con. OWAIT, CA outlawed the one poison that actually worked. So I guess you could buy some of the other stuff on the market and feed them instead, let them bring their pals in.

People say the critters need a place to live, the are just trying to find a spot.
Yeah me too. This is my spot. Trying to move into my spot is a bad choice for survival.

The Gamo Whisper is my elimination tool of choice. Has a muzzle brake on it, think suppressor, that makes minimal to no noise on the receiving end when using standard pellets. Their Tomahawk units work very well. They do offer a coated pellet but the velocity is higher due to less friction which gives a supersonic crack alerting anyone around to what you are doing. 1000 fps, break action, has a 3-9 scope on it. 600+ VC[ Varmint Cong] can attest to it down where we used to live in Ramona. Could nail one, with his buddy right there wondering what happened, then show his buddy why his friend flopped over. Poison blocks, bait etc is a no go as a pet or another critter can die from ingesting the affected rodent.
Whisper Fusion Mach 1 .177 caliber break barrel air rifle - GAMO
Tomahawk lead pellets for airguns. 750 Hollow Point Pellets included.

The Gamo Whisper is my elimination tool of choice. Has a muzzle brake on it, think suppressor, that makes minimal to no noise on the receiving end when using standard pellets. Their Tomahawk units work very well. They do offer a coated pellet but the velocity is higher due to less friction which gives a supersonic crack alerting anyone around to what you are doing. 1000 fps, break action, has a 3-9 scope on it. 600+ VC[ Varmint Cong] can attest to it down where we used to live in Ramona. Could nail one, with his buddy right there wondering what happened, then show his buddy why his friend flopped over. Poison blocks, bait etc is a no go as a pet or another critter can die from ingesting the affected rodent.
Whisper Fusion Mach 1 .177 caliber break barrel air rifle - GAMO
Tomahawk lead pellets for airguns. 750 Hollow Point Pellets included.
Know where there are rodents? On a dairy farm. Everything cows like, rodents like more. And there is massive piles of it because a herd of cows eats a lot.
The barn is warm in winter. Endless places to nest.
I grew up on one. We had a small herd of fairly tame cats, and usually 2-3 feral toms and maybe a female.
We put D-con everywhere. You had to. Because otherwise it would be a rat farm.
Not once, EVER, in decades of farming in my family, did a cat die from eating a dead rodent. Same on the neighbors.

That whole thing is a massive political pushed myth used to outlaw the one poison on the market that worked. There is a growing problem with rodents now, and people are doing a lot less humane things to control them.

Live trap with peanuts in the shelll.

My parents live in a northern california suburb 30 min east of San Francisco. Their backyard has all kinds of plants and nooks and crannies, but a fairly small lawn. Squirrels love to visit because there's lots of places to hide their food and my parents also have several fruit trees. My dad was using a pellet gun and that didn't scare them. So he set a live trap with 3 whole peanuts in the shell. He caught a new squirrel 1 or 2 a day for 2 weeks straight. He would hear the trap set off - BAMM! Then he would leave them sitting in there for about an hour so they could think about it, then he opens the trap door and lets the squirrel walk out on their own and they hit the fence and are gone like a shot. After 2 weeks he never saw a squirrel again. I think word got out! By the way, they used to have hunting dogs that slept in the backyard kennel, along with 5 domestic outdoor cats that always catch mice. The squirrels were afraid of the dogs, but not the cats. After the hunting dogs passed away, here came the squirrels, burying their food in the lawn and tearing it up. They're cute little buggers, but they're pesky.

Spring traps. Use them on a
regular basis as squirrels are
not the only furry pests we
deal with. Skunks, raccoons,
armadillos, frequent the
property. In the 20 years
we've lived here, there has
yet to be a ferral cat being
trapped. I used to use live
traps but approaching one
with a pis*ed off skunk in it
was a task I didn't enjoy.
Squirrels destroyed the
wiring in the attic, armadillos
dig monster size gopher
holes in the lawn, and a
racoon chewed thru the
siding of the garage. Lots
of fun when I went to go to
work one morning. Them
things are mean when
they're cornered.
Thank goodness I don't live
any further east or I'd be
dealing with possums too.

Last edited:
There's various sprays that you can buy at your local home center.around $20. Some are more noxious than others but won't have a long term effect. I use those on my side yard where's people leave deposit's when walking their dogs. I supplement it with pee.
The neighbor's dog across the street decided to start using the area in front of my mailbox as his bathroom. I asked that neighbor if he could keep his dog from doing that and his reply was 'it's good fertilizer' so I started picking it up with a shovel and throwing it into his driveway. One day when he was outside I yelled at him "here's your fertilizer back" and threw a healthy portion of human size turd over to the driveway. Somehow his dog got the message.....

Humane Relocation.... :rofl: Funny story from my past... Years ago I had a job where a buddy & I exchanged driving duties a week at a time... One morning during his week he mentioned he needed to stop along our drive... He stopped & released one of the dozens of stray cats from his neighborhood... We went on in to work & didn't give it a second thought... Next day he had another, we stopped at the same spot and as he was pulling the cage out of the back of his truck two coyotes popped their heads out of the tall grass nearby... We released the second cat a few miles away & he gave up on his relocation plan......
LOL, Simular deal, A guy I know was doing the same basic thing here in our small town.
The difference was he hauled them in the live trap to another small town a few miles away.
He would dump them early AM on his way to work.
One early morning while dropping off a new resident a guy yells at him WTF are you doing.
Without missing a beat, The cat hauler yells back that he let him out to piss and needs help catching him and getting him back in. :rofl:

Also I was going to bring up the sport of squirrel fishing.
I tried this awhile back useing a apple core for bait.
I got to say our midwest red squirrels will put up a good tug o war .
It was still pretty cold out and my camera woman went on strike or I would have some footage.
If nothing else it is fun.
20240104_105752.jpg

Last edited:
Forget all these ^^^ ideas and suggestions !! There is a simple, quick, and easy way to get rid of a squirrel. Just... find him a moose friend, and they'll be on their way
1708615038154.png

Auto Transport Service
Back