• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How many years have you owned a performance/classic vehicle ?

I don't know why but performance cars were not in abundance in my town as I grew up in the 80s. I don't even know when I saw my first Hemi car or 454 Chevelle....maybe at a car show in the mid 80s?
Mom had a new Z-28 in 1978, then the lease expired and she bought a 79 Z-28. I'd read of and seen performance cars on TV and movies but those Camaros were what I knew of as a kid. The Dukes of Hazzard opened my eyes to the Dodge Charger but with only the local classified ads, my choices were limited to what was being sold in my own town in Northern CA.
My first 2 cars were 318 Darts.
My 3rd and 4th cars were Camaros. I had a 1976 that had to be emission compliant so I had to keep it close to stock to pass the tests. I did make it a point to improve the handling though by swapping in sway bars and springs from Trans Am cars. The '76 handled quite well and set the tone for me. Some guys grew up with the drag race influence and stuck with that. I grew up wanting a car that did everything well. Acceleration, handling and braking. It has been proven that a car set up for handling can make a decent 1/4 mile performer but a car set up for drag racing usually doesn't handle that well.
To this day, I'm still drawn to the Mopars that are built to be good street cars, not the drag racers. Tubbed cars with skinny front tires don't interest me.

For me? 45 years. I believe the greatest manufacturer performance years were the late 60s. But those that were there in the early 60s/mid 60s that disagree? I certainly understand.

Kind of depends on your definition of a "performance vehicle".
My first Mopar was a 318 powered Coronet at age 17 in 1985.
Not marketed as a "performance" car, but smoked many a "performance vehicle" on the street.
My first big block car was a '66 olds 98 just before that Coronet.
My first "performance car" by popular definition was my '70 Super Bee in 1988.

...so I'm claiming a couple years shy of 40.

Last edited:
View attachment 1542942My one and only. Literally the very first car I ever owned. Bought in 71’ for $1,100. Still have the scratched up paper receipt notarized late at night in November after taking her out for a test drive and coming back with my tidy whities loaded up from getting the **** scared out of me by this beast. Sealed the deal - sold her to a friend back in my hometown just a few years ago after 48 years behind the wheel. That car was the love of my life until I met my present wife. Where I live was one of the primary issues. Just no longer set-up to fully enjoy so I decided it was time. No regrets - Sometimes in life you just have to turn the page.

Sell it to someone in Minnesota?

Started driving my 73 Road Runner (some) in 1981, although it formally became mine in 1983.
20210207_155851.jpg

I just sold it 3 months ago (painful, but had to be done and went to a great guy).

Anyway, so for me it is 40 years and counting (I still have my 70 Road Runner :p )

Members here from all walks of life, from all different areas over the globe. Yet, have a common interest for performance/classic cars, Mopars in particular. I myself go back to when these cars were nothing more than new/used cars at the time, not yet "classic" cars. With that said, I've owned at least one performance/classic car 52 years. So here's my question: HOW MANY YEARS HAVE YOU PERSONALLY OWNED A PERFORMANCE/CLASSIC CAR ? Not necessarily just Mopars, any model that would fit the description, no matter what brand. And even if there was a gap, say 8 years back in the day, plus 11 years again until now, would make that 19 years total. What's your number ?
Since 1971. My first car was a 65 Dart 270 post. White with a red interior and a feux vinyl top. It had the 235/273 and a 3 speed on the tree. Now I find out it was one of a half dozen with that combo. Then I got a 69 Road Runner, 2 69 Coronet's, 2 73 Challengers, a 69 Bee and misc. Mopar drivers along the way.

TMM SuperBee 1b (2).jpg

Capture.PNG

My 69 coronet 1a (2).jpg

Since 1971. My first car was a 65 Dart 270 post. White with a red interior and a feux vinyl top. It had the 235/273 and a 3 speed on the tree. Now I find out it was one of a half dozen with that combo. Then I got a 69 Road Runner, 2 69 Coronet's, 2 73 Challengers, a 69 Bee and misc. Mopar drivers along the way.

View attachment 1543038

View attachment 1543039

View attachment 1543040
Arithmetic: 2023-1971 = 52 years. I see someone likes Keystones and Cragars :thumbsup:

Kind of depends on your definition of a "performance vehicle".
My first Mopar was a 318 powered Coronet at age 17 in 1985.
Not marketed as a "performance" car, but smoked many a "performance vehicle" on the street.
My first big block car was a '66 olds 98 just before that Coronet.
My first "performance car" by popular definition was my '70 Super Bee in 1988.

...so I'm claiming a few years shy of 40.
ACCEPTED !! You're not the only one who's smoked an unsuspecting car with a 318 !!

Arithmetic: 2023-1971 = 52 years. I see someone likes Keystones and Cragars :thumbsup:
Yes. And in the mid to late 70's I managed a parts store. I always ran Cragars or Keystones depending on the car and color.

img133.jpg

Bought my first Charger in the summer of 1980,and have had over 300 Mopars since! I still have my 70 Charger R/T SE from 1981. I have over twenty of them currently, it's a sickness!

'70 Charger 383 Magnum 4 spd: 38 yrs
'98 BMW Z3 M Roadster (3.2l I-6): 10 yrs
'04 BMW X5 4.4 liter DOHC: 5 yrs
'20 Charger R/T (5.7l Hemi): 3 yrs

So, I'll go with 56 years.

However, my other cars might have been considered "performance cars" in their day by some people:

'79 Chrysler 300: 43 yrs. (still own)
'84 Shelby Charger: 3 yrs (gone)
'87 Nissan 300ZX: 3 yrs (gone)
'88 Gran Fury Salon cop car: 7 yrs (gone)
Oh snap! Another 56 years

These last four aren't old enough in my book to be considered a "Classic". However, all were fun and enjoyable "back in the day". The '79 Chrysler 300 is the best out of the four with the '88 Fury cop car definitely being an honorable mention. Also, both were very reliable cars.
You're wrong ! I consider the last 4... well, 3 of them not the Salon, to be "performance" cars. Your 79 300 is an awesome car ! I had one years ago, sorry I sold it ( along with a billion other cars ), but I got a regular Cordoba now that resembles it, excpet the 360 4-bbl, and I love to drive it !

1974 , started off with a 65 impala ss. Never have been without some kind of performance car.
So 49 years for me also.
It's a long list the prices were dirt cheap for many years. Most were Mopars , I did have 2 drag bikes in the 80s both Kawasakis , 750 H2 build and a 1000 kz build. Then back to cars lol.
I have owned my 67 I have now since 2006.

when I moved on from the Chevelle, probably 1984, early 85; I sold the SS hood (it was clean) to a kid down the street for 35 bucks. I got 150 for the 12 bolt posi 3.73s I believe

My first Mopar was a 66 Charger, Red w/white interior, 383 4 speed.
Below if picture of my current Mopar. A 66 Charger, red w/white interior, 383 Automatic.
4 th. owner, bought in 2010. Car is originally from Bismarck, ND. Now in Pittsburgh PA.

DSC03327.JPG

DSC03228.JPG

DSC03230.JPG

Auto Transport Service
Back