• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How the f do you remove the parking brake cable

justanotherguy

Local time
4:21 AM
Reaction score
Title says it all. Trying to push in the 3 wing retaining clip to pull the parking brake out of the rear drum brakes is freaking impossible. Is there a tool? Is there a way? Am I doing it wrong? Seems like if I can depress the 3 wings, it will slide out of the drum....but....how?
1000018989.jpg

Relieve the tension on the brake cable first.

Then use a pair of needle-nosed pliers to squeeze the two/three locking tabs towards the centre of the housing of the cable.

You will need to do that one-handed while your other hand wiggles the cable from behind the backing plate.

Not easy, but doable.

Haha you're telling me! I removed the cable from where it connects to the drum, and can get 2 of the 3 tabs depressed...its just that pesky one angled towards the interior of the drum...like the one on the backside.

Haha you're telling me! I removed the cable from where it connects to the drum, and can get 2 of the 3 tabs depressed...its just that pesky one angled towards the interior of the drum...like the one on the backside.
Have you got a small 'jubilee clip' or whatever you guys in non-metric land call them....hose clamp

1715056363491.png

Undo one, and carefully wrap it around the spring tangs/clips....tighten gently with the clamp only a smidgeon (1/16") away from the backing plate.....then work the cable towards the edge.

Rinse & repeat, and you might get it that way.

I would suggest a small zip tie, but it might not be strong enough to hold the tangs closed long enough to push the cable housing out.

Or you could try it and see.

Hose clamp is the winner. You can adjust the height of it and get it in the right spot, the cable comes right out.

How do you depress and hold 3 tangs with needle nose pliers?

How do you depress and hold 3 tangs with needle nose pliers?
You only have to get one started, then hold the cable housing on an angle while you work around to the other two.

Or just use my other suggestion if you're not confident or competent with hand tools.

I removed mine from the junction in front of axle, leaving both cables in their respective drum backing plates. Then I sold the brakes to someone else and put rear discs on. Probably the road less traveled but it’s one way to go lol. Seriously, I couldn’t get that **** out of there and I knew I’d break something if i tried.

I removed mine from the junction in front of axle, leaving both cables in their respective drum backing plates. Then I sold the brakes to someone else and put rear discs on. Probably the road less traveled but it’s one way to go lol. Seriously, I couldn’t get that **** out of there and I knew I’d break something if i tried.
:lol: ...if all else fails....sell it. :thumbsup:

Slide a tight fitting 12 point box end wrench over the end of the cable. Pull the cable sideways at a slight angle while wiggling the wrench and it'll slip right out.
Doug

If the cable is disconnected, can't you rotate it to access each spring tab ? Your's dont look very rusted, so spray it with lube, vice grips on outer sheath end, depress the tabs. Hammer tap and drift pin each tab...

I remember having a real bastard of a time with this. Pliers and wiggling will prevail….. don’t forget the yelling and swearing.

""""""""""don’t forget the yelling and swearing"""""""",,,THATS the key!!! :lol:

1715101049086.png
I have one like this but a socket or box end wrench will also work.

Auto Transport Service
Back