• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How to save my interior? Armor all bad?

i have heard both sides of the armour all story. but then i heard the reason why.

the original formula was not very nice on vinyl so they reformulated. this is the product that we are used to, ultra slippery. store your car for a few years and see what it does. i have pics of our hemi x which has sat for 8+ years. it got armour all and it now has a green interior from the amount of mold.

there is a new formula our this year which is supposed to be very similar to Maguires. not too shiny, not too slippery and will not mold.

i will stick with Maguires as they seem to have gotten it right the first time around.

Since Armour all is not water based, but silicone based I do not see how it could have been a base for the mold to start. Sounds like you had other problems.
Since it is Silicone based, it is not good for threads. Use Mink oil for leather, as every leather maker or supplier I ever read says to use mink oil. I have never heard of one thing that protects vinyl, though I am sure there is something on the market.

Mold is caused by improper storage methods--not by the products used on the dash and interiors,etc..
An air tight garage cannot breathe and mold can form.
Sudden change in temperatures causes condensation--which leads to dampness which leads to mold if not controlled.

Our cars design,materials,and construction can hold condensation in the wierdest places your eyes cannot see which does not help matters.

Make sure the garage or storage area has proper ventilation.

Have a window or two cracked open to allow air to go through the car--but just enough to keep critters out..This is very important especially to those who do daily drive their cars in the summer months--even in the rain-- and store away for the winter months.

Park the car on a blue tarp to avoid the car soaking up moisture drawing out from the floor.
A cheap bag of BBQ briquettes opened up in a tray or box inside the car absorbs any dampness in the car and does not smell.Make sure that if you do this--buy the kind that has no lighter fluid in it.
Good ol baking soda works as well.

I run a cheap oscillating fan inside the garage to circulate the air inside--even when unheated to keep everything dry.
Air that moves through and around the car greatly reduces the chances of mold forming.
Hope this helps

Auto Transport Service
Back