• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How to start an engine not in car?

Answer Book

Local time
8:29 AM
Reaction score
The engine is actually still in the car but I don't want to have ANY of the car wiring hooked up.
If the engine was on a stand - what would the electrical wiring look like? The absolute bare minimum? Also would use this same setup to test "junk" motors on a stand.

Any help would be appreciated. This damn car is frustrating the hell out of me. I just want to eliminate ALL car electrical and get it started - then I can go from there.

It would look like my tractor with or without an ignition switch. Toggle switch to coil, coil to distributor and a push button to the starter oh yeah and the block grounded. This will give you an idea, just leave generator and regulator out.
Screenshot_20181017-203106_Samsung Internet.jpg

Last edited:
hot wire to positive side of coil, hot wire to touch starter Bendix small wire, assuming battery cable is connected to starter that's how I used to steal the old mans car in the 70's

This damn car is frustrating the hell out of me.

You think that you are frustrated NOW, guess how you will feel once you take the unibody apart and try to fit everything back together later!

hot wire to positive side of coil, hot wire to touch starter Bendix small wire, assuming battery cable is connected to starter that's how I used to steal the old mans car in the 70's
very long story but tried that... worked earlier this year... but now that I got it back the car does not have FIRE and need to eliminate the electrical part(VERY VERY LONG BAD STORY)... The motor did run and run good just need to know it still does

It would look like my tractor with or without an ignition switch. Toggle switch to coil, coil to distributor and a push button to the starter oh yeah and the block grounded. This will give you an idea, just leave generator and regulator out.View attachment 668730
the distributor does not have points, do I need something else hooked up?

that's about as minimal as it gets, unless u wrap a rope around the front pulley

electronic ignition run hot wire to distributor

very long story but tried that... worked earlier this year... but now that I got it back the car does not have FIRE and need to eliminate the electrical part(VERY VERY LONG BAD STORY)... The motor did run and run good just need to know it still does
I am going to check today... but maybe the distributor got fried... when he drove it away... it was hot wired to the coil... only went 7-8 blocks away... but don't think he unhooked the wire when he parked it... read somewhere last night in all my many hours of research... if leave the wire hooked to the coil longer than 15 minutes or so, it could fry the distributor.. maybe that's what happened.... not sure... but would explain why no fire

You think that you are frustrated NOW, guess how you will feel once you take the unibody apart and try to fit everything back together later!
taking"ANYTHING" apart and videoing how it all came apart AND making jigs to make sure it goes back correctly and measuring everything possible.... that goes to understanding how things work.... but to jump into something I dont have a good understanding of is yup frustrating.... if it was wired correctly that is one thing, if motor somehow blown that is another thing, if distributor or coil or ANY other part is bad that is another thing.could be hundreds of different things and proly a couple different things also... VERY similar to working on the inside of a computer which I can do with the best of them...but i have good knowledge of that... building a house from the concrete to shingles and EVERYTHING else in between - easy stuff and can do it all... have good understanding of that stuff also... you are probably the same DOUBTER that said it is impossible to take welds apart without making holes into at least one of the parts....hahaha... told ya it can be done... keep doubting... doubters also say a joe smo could not have possibly created right out of their living room a protective device better than a football helmet than prevents both head and neck injuries... hahaha keep doubting.... my point is doubters can inspire folks but doubters all the time can discourage folks to the point of just shelving stuff... I am trying to gain the knowledge to fix it myself without someone having to do it for me... and your comment did not help

Auto Transport Service
Back