• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

installing tach - do I have everything I need?

d9103365

Local time
6:09 AM
Reaction score
I have a 75 Fury Sport....it has the standard gauges, and I wanted to add the factory tach. That also means that I had to replace the other gauges as well. Which I bought. Trouble is, I'm not sure if I have everything, and what else i will need to make the tach work and connect it. here's what I bought so far.
1. factory style tach
2. New alternator, temp, fuel, and oil gauges (replacing the dummy oil light with an actual gauge).
3. gauge cluster circuit board (tach and non tach circuit boards are different)
4. gauge cluster plastic cover (tach and non tach clusters are different)

Not sure what else i need...I've seen some pics that have extra capacitors or other doohickey connected to the back of the tach...but those were on older models. Not sure where/how to connect it..and I'm assuming that the other new gauges will hook right up.

Anything wrong with my plan? I'm all tached out.

Do you have the Factory Service Manual & wiring diagrams? Would help identify other components.

Are you running factory ignition or aftermarket? Multi spark such as MSD and Pertronix won't work well on factory tach.

Everything is stock - using OEM parts. yes, I have the wiring diagrams/maintenance manuals but they are pretty useless for this application...they don't have enough detail.

Auto Transport Service
Back