• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Intake manifold height

A previous poster said the CH4B was the same as the stock intake, I respectfully disagree. The plenum is visibly larger and the cross section and volume of the runners is also larger. Are there better intakes? Absolutely, but for someone wanting to retain the factory Air Grabber it’s a good option…
yes bigger plenum hurts a little torque down low and throttle response and picks up a little hp in the upper rpms. i tested 5 intakes on the street and you can find an old post of a member testing ch4b and I think a performer and weiand. it helped less than a tenth in a 1/4 mile I think it was .7 tenths where a rpm performer is good for about 3 tenths. if your going to run the ch4b, the performer and weiand don't expect much.

Another vote for CH4B. A friend built a mild 440 with one and got just a tick short of 500 horse and as much torque. They work quite well.
just think if he had the rpm performer could have had a tick short of 530 HP.

I have a n96 car. I also have a ch4b laying around. I'm very certain if I put the ch4b on the engine with the stock air cleaner there would be a serious collision. Something will break trying to close the hood with a stock air cleaner.

I've done all the research on options for my 383 Airgrabber 70 Roadrunner and the results were: Mopar M1 Dual Plane (on it now), Mopar/Edelbrock Six BBL with matching aircleaner, or the Holley Street Dominator. I have all three for mine, sixpack will go on as part of a stroker/rebuild.

I'm in the garage measuring stuff. The ch4b is very close to .400" taller than the stock iron intake. The real problem is the plastic inner flange portion of the air box. Mine takes up close to .75" of hood clearance. This has always been the contact point for me and I believe it would be fairly easy to break that flange. What somebody could do is run the standard 12.5" round air filter that should fit inside the air box plenum with the ch4b. Another thing to think about is engine torque over when applying power. I think you might loose 1/4" there in clearance.

I just tried the tin foil test on my car. This test showed it may be possible to run a ch4b but it'll be a little tight. Not much extra room for engine torque over. If it were me and I wanted to try this I would very carefully mock it it all up first. There won't be room for a 5/16" insulater gasket. Just go slow and double check. Awhile back I read a post were someone told someone all this would fit fine and go for it. Someone ended up with a dented hood.

One reason I run solid motor mounts, don't have to worry about an engine twisting.

Last edited:
I've done all the research on options for my 383 Airgrabber 70 Roadrunner and the results were: Mopar M1 Dual Plane (on it now), Mopar/Edelbrock Six BBL with matching aircleaner, or the Holley Street Dominator. I have all three for mine, sixpack will go on as part of a stroker/rebuild.
I've used all the same intakes with an n96, wish I had the m1 but I sold it. I just installed a new casting Edelbrock 6 pack intake it fits nicely under the air grabber but it's not the greatest quality out of the box.

Guys how does Edlebrock measure Intake Manifold height? I am working some clearance issues myself on a SBM 340 and I need to take some measurements and I need to compare to Edlebrock units but know how they actually reference/measure their units.

Guys how does Edlebrock measure Intake Manifold height? I am working some clearance issues myself on a SBM 340 and I need to take some measurements and I need to compare to Edlebrock units but know how they actually reference/measure their units.
Just found this hope it helps others….

IMG_1697.jpeg

Auto Transport Service
Back