• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Kick down rod length

Doba76

Local time
9:05 AM
Reaction score
Is the rod for the kick down different lengths between a 2 and 4 bbl?

car, year, motor, 1 piece or 3 piece kick down rod??

76 Cordoba, 400 and the one piece rod. Tried to get the rod hooked up to the bracket last night and it's now hitting the valve cover. The car was a 2 bbl, but did an engine swap recently and the engine that I put in is a 77 4 bbl.

Here's a couple of pictures of what I'm talking about. I was looking at the spare bracket I have and the pivot looks to be dang near 2 inches further back and a hair higher, I think I'll swap them out and see if that works.
PSxQjRb.jpg

IYT9Wva.jpg

I shouldn't make any difference they bolt to the same bolts on the head.

This is the bracket from the 4 bbl engine. The other bracket that I think will work is off of the 2 bbl, I'll take pictures side by side when I get home. The 2 bbl engine used to be a 4 bbl but I believe was changed over when the lean burn was removed. Maybe it's a difference in the years and the model they came out of.

They still bolt to both sides of the intake ports

Yup, but the other bracket is taller and the pivot is further back on it which I think will fix my issue. I hope lol. I'll post a side by side pic in a bit.

The throttle bracket and the kick-down rod are both different from a 400 2BBL to a 400 4bbl I have a complete 400 4BBl set up if you are interested message me

Well, here's a crappy picture showing the difference in the placement of the pivot where the kickdown rod goes. I'll take a better pic when it's on the car tonight, but it's easy too see that it's about 1.5 inches further back, what's not east too see is that it's quite a bit taller as well. This should work just perfectly.
W94gCMD.jpg

Yes that is correct the 4bbl throttle bracket has the pivot placement at a different location but as you mentioned it sits higher requiring a different contoured longer carb to trans rod meaning your 2bbl rod will not fit or adjust correctly as i mentioned in my previous post. I have both 2bbl and 4bbl rods and other components here and there is considerable difference between the 2bbl to 4bbl rod which also have different Chrysler part numbers. BTW sorry my 4bbl set up i offered is no longer available

Auto Transport Service
Back