• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Largest wheels for a 73 RoadRunner

BlooDSMeaR

Local time
4:23 PM
Reaction score
Like the title states, what are the widest 15" wheels / tires size that fit without hitting the fenders in the front? I'm running stock ride hight.

Like the title states, what are the widest 15" wheels / tires size that fit without hitting the fenders in the front? I'm running stock ride hight.
I think the general consensus is a 15x7" wheel with 4.25" backspacing in front. 15x8" wheel in the rear with 4.5" backspacing. Front tires a 245/60/r15, rear 275/60/r15. You can go to a 295/50/r15 in the back if you don't mind using air-shocks.

I thought the 73 b bodies had pretty big wells? Should be able to fit a 295 back there

I am running 15x8 all around with 4.5 backspace with 235 front and 255 rear and it gives it a nice stance. I did try 15x10 on the back but no dice, either rub on the spring or the fender so gave up that pipe dream. You may be able to get away with 15x9 on the rear with small tire.

I thought the 73 b bodies had pretty big wells? Should be able to fit a 295 back there
They're plenty big enough, but it's spring clearance and fender lips that are an issue. They might fit with enough clearance if the car has rolled in fender lips, but it's easy enough to move in the leaf springs 2 inches. For a stock suspension car, air shocks would likely be necessary.

I've got 235/60/14 on the front on a 5.5" rim and 255/60/15 on the rear on a 6.5" rim.

looks like it's supposed to be that way.

I've had 245/50/14 on a 7" rim and 265/50/15 on an 8" rim on the back with no issues.

The reason I'm asking , is I have a set of 4 8.5x15 turbines, I bought them on line and had them shipped to my powder coat shop. I paid to have them powder coated , when I picked them up I found the bolt pattern is 5x4.75. There is a local machine shop that does custom wheel lug patterns. I wanted to see if it was worth the extra $100 to get them drilled. I don't want to spend any more cash on them if they just wont fit my car.
The tire size I was planning on using is 235/60 fro the front and 275/60 on the rear.

The reason I'm asking , is I have a set of 4 8.5x15 turbines, I bought them on line and had them shipped to my powder coat shop. I paid to have them powder coated , when I picked them up I found the bolt pattern is 5x4.75. There is a local machine shop that does custom wheel lug patterns. I wanted to see if it was worth the extra $100 to get them drilled. I don't want to spend any more cash on them if they just wont fit my car.
The tire size I was planning on using is 235/60 fro the front and 275/60 on the rear.
Should fit just fine. Go with it, and post up some pictures! :xscuseless:

8.5 might be a bit much for the front.

Be careful on re drilling. Make sure it's possible. Sometimes it's not.

8.5 might be a bit much for the front.

Be careful on re drilling. Make sure it's possible. Sometimes it's not.
The style or rim, its a flat surface on the face where the lugs go. The shop said no problem with that, "it'll be easy". The guy told me he does about 99% of the custom rim drills needed by the tire shops around here. He is not going to drill where the original holes are, it'll be off set from them. My main concern now is that the wheels only have a 4" back spacing. I'm worried that they will stick out of the wheel wells.

Auto Transport Service
Back