• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

lexan windows

Badvert65

Local time
8:08 PM
Reaction score
OK, I have a 65 Belvedere I, 2 door post car. It is basically a race car. I have recently taken the window glass out and replaced it with Lexan. The rear windows are permanently up, which is fine as there is no back seat. I want the door 'glass' to roll up and down without using the factory regulators. I was thinking of using something like the factory did in 65, seat belt straps. The problem is, the shape of the window doesn't let it follow the tracks and the window easily goes off track. For now, the door 'glass' is permanently up. I was just wondering if anyone has solved this problem, specifically on a 65 Belvedere Post car.
-Matt

Here ya go. As you pull the window up the strap will move rearward. Place snaps in the panel acordingly.
Doug
1125121548.jpg
1125121552.jpg
1125121553.jpg

Well, it isn't much to look at currently...
Race_Car2.jpg
IMG_0887.jpg

Hey Doug, do you have rollers on both front and rear edges of the door 'glass'?

OK, I have a 65 Belvedere I, 2 door post car. It is basically a race car. I have recently taken the window glass out and replaced it with Lexan. The rear windows are permanently up, which is fine as there is no back seat. I want the door 'glass' to roll up and down without using the factory regulators. I was thinking of using something like the factory did in 65, seat belt straps. The problem is, the shape of the window doesn't let it follow the tracks and the window easily goes off track. For now, the door 'glass' is permanently up. I was just wondering if anyone has solved this problem, specifically on a 65 Belvedere Post car.
-Matt
Matt, does a 64 tudor post count?? I am going to put lexan windows in my old plymouth, I am going to do it two lane blacktop style with a slider. back half of the window will be permanetly in place and the front half will slide back, small knob and a screen door hook will do it very simply. I am having bent a piece of 12 guage alum. bent for the bottom runner, 3x1x.5 wide. 36 inches long,(will trim to lenth). KISS princaple. Dave.

I am going to give Doug's method a try. If I can't make that work, then I will go with Dave's solution. I hadn't thought of the half sliding window. Definitely better than a permanently 'up' window.
Thanks guys.
-Matt

Not that hard. Do make the new window longer than the original. Trim as needed afterward. Peel the paper back only slightly when sanding the edges to prevent scratches. 150 grit will look like factory glass. Don't forget the vents.
Doug

W31.jpg
W32.jpg
W37.jpg
W30.jpg

i stole dougs idea for my 64 330. it was easy and works well. the only thing i did different was add a stop at the bottom of the door so the glass cant go below the top edge of the door. sorry no pictures.

I am on the fence about doing the vent windows. It would be easy enough, but just not sure I'd save enough weight to be worth the effort.

I am on the fence about doing the vent windows. It would be easy enough, but just not sure I'd save enough weight to be worth the effort.
Depends on light you want to get. I can be be at 3290 with driver and full fuel if I pull one battery. All steel except hood, mega block, fire system, factory bumpers.
Doug

Little late to the party but where are you fellas getting your lexan windows?

Little late to the party but where are you fellas getting your lexan windows?
i made mine. i recommend using polycarbonate instead of lexan or a uv stable lexan. most lexan is not uv stable and does funky stuff in the sun. i used the factory glass as the pattern. used a jigsaw to cut them out a little oversize then sanded them to match. i also put extra masking tape where the saw would touch the window to protect it. it takes a little time to do but well worth the weight savings.

Okay here is a dumb question. I take thr lexan is the same thickness as the glass. So does the cat whiskers scratch the lexan when moving it up and down. So what do you guys use to stop the scratches.

Auto Transport Service
Back