• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Loud and scary noises coming from my 440...

'67Satellite

Local time
3:37 PM
Reaction score
http://youtu.be/Tzoaj3KPUsg

Well, after a couple weeks of poking around trying to figure it out with my friends. I've resorted to making my case public. I was reluctant to post about this issue at first because I'm a little embarrassed. But I'm over that feeling today, I've worked for hours in the garage pulling things off and trying to figure this out, and I've found nothing that points to any component I can remove with the motor in the car. Here's what I've done so far, with a little history on the motor:

440 bored .060 over
Factory rods and crank (checked my machine shop)
All new bearings
Comp Cam (installed with recommended lifters and springs)
440Source Stealth heads
Roller Rockers with ball/cup pushrods
New timing set (from Comp Cams)
New harmonic balancer

Rebuild was completed in 2009. Motor ran well in my Satellite while I had it. I probably put less than 300 miles on it while it was in that car. But aside from being young and not knowing much about tuning, nothing was ever wrong with it.

Fast-forward

I found a GTX last year and decided to buy it and move all my parts over. I finally got things to where I thought it would be smart to make sure the motor is still working as well as it was a month before I bought the GTX (and I wanted to hear it run again for some motivation).

So I cranked it over, and SQUEAL!!!! Well I was concerned that something was very seriously wrong. So I started trying to figure it out. That was a couple weeks ago, and lots of wrench time. And I haven't found the problem.

What I've tried:
Ran motor without alternator/water pump/steering pump (no change in sound)
Ran motor without mech. fuel pump hooked up (no change in sound)
Replaced intermediate shaft bushing, looked a little tired (no change in sound)
Removed timing cover to inspect for damage. Nothing found.
Re-torqued Cam Bolt, good.
Removed intake and valley pan, nothing notable with regards to cam or lifters.
Drained oil to look for any metal, etc. Nothing notable.
Started and made sure the starter backs off of the converter, checks good.
Made sure starter isn't running somehow while engine is, checks good.
Inspected valve train as well as I could without removing parts, looks good. (wear on rocker tips/valve is minimal)
Oil pressure is good at 55psi. And I primed it before I tried starting this motor in the X (thought this would be smart as it hadn't ran for a while).

I'm just not sure what else it could possibly be, but it's deafeningly loud. Something serious is wrong. And I'm sure we can figure it out.

Note: Noise in video is exactly what it sounds like in person.

Is it actually running? Can't hear anything but that noise. Good God man.

Oh yeah, she's running on all 8. Throttle response is good and it's idling very well. If you stand behind the car, you can hear the exhaust over whatever the other noise is.

- - - Updated - - -

Got to be dizzy do you have one to borrow and try or pull it apart dry bushing my guess.

Spins freely out of the motor, doesn't make any noises other than the points opening and closing. I don't have a spare though.

That sounds like the starter not disengaging. How did you check to check the starter

That was one of my first thoughts too. I got under the car and looked through the inspection cover. I literally watched the solenoid engage the gear spin the motor over, then retract back. All worked exactly as it should. Can't be the starter.

Does it do it in neutral? Sounds like the trans pump

.....OMG dude. That is a pickle sir. Vacuum leak? All temps normal? That is really a tough one for sure.

I agree, tried it in Neutral and Park. My shifter isn't hooked up, so i'm shifting it on the trans itself. I'd like to play around with that a little more. But the sound didn't change from park to neutral.

....after listening to this several times, the secret is the end of the track. Listen to the wind-down noise, it is a pump for sure.

.....OMG dude. That is a pickle sir. Vacuum leak? All temps normal? That is really a tough one for sure.

Terrible isn't it? Heart wrenching. Temps are as normal as they can be running a few seconds at a time. Nothing has really been allowed to warm up much. No known vacuum leaks. Hose off the brake booster is plugged.

Wow! what an erratating noise huh! you would think you would have no trouble finding that noise. Yep! I say starter take it out and check it on the bench or jack it up pull of the dust cover and observe it while running.

....after listening to this several times, the secret is the end of the track. Listen to the wind-down noise, it is a pump for sure.

Well, I agree, it kinda sounds like a dry pump. I guess i'll drain the trans and look for glitter. It's just so loud, it makes it hard to tell where the noise originates.

Was the torque converter engaged fully in the pump before installing the engine?

As far as I know. I slid the torque converter on as I have in the past (engaging each spline as i rotated it) and when I installed it on the engine, had no clearance issues with the flexplate or torque converter.

Just my two cents ive heard this noise in bbChevys when main bearings spin. And I know people will say but it has oil pressure, if the upper bearing half blocks the oil hole off you will still have oil pressure. Seen this 4 or 5 times on chevys. Just a thought.

My issue with a spun bearing is that the motor only has a couple hundred miles on it, and it ran well in the last car it was in about a year ago. While it was out of the Satellite, i didn't mess with any internals. And i primed the oil pump before i started it this time to make sure i had oil in the pickup after sitting for a year.

Auto Transport Service
Back