• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Loud and scary noises coming from my 440...

Right. Just me (kinda hard-headed (only a little))...I'd still bust the new pump down, and pat it on it's rear. Still put together by human hands.
Understand on the out-of-round. Not sure if a dial indicator, rotating the crank on bearings that have clearances, is really the best way to check it. Sure method is with a mic, checking each journal 3 ways, at least. Your indicator is showing at least one and a half thousands, if not more.
Maybe your engine builder has mics, and they could check the crank for you? Yeah, I know...I'm a pain! Your engine. Something in there's fishy, or just not sized right. I'd find out exactly what you have.
The out-of-round bit, kinda like hammer blows on the part, depending when the journal takes it's hit.

Yea, thanks miller. I'll be getting it checked out by a pro. Money is tight, but i want to get this thing running before i start to lose interest again! I've reached this month budget with new cam bearings, oil pump, and gaskets coming in. So updates may have to wait a little while, at least till another payday.

Thanks for having some interest in the issue guys, it's good to brain storm a little. And eventually, we'll get this this figured out and the car down the road. I'm still a "glass half full" guy.

Sure understand the $$$.
Shouldn't cost you a dime, to get someone to mic the crank. If it does...leave.

Too bad the motor wound up as it is, but easy fix. Hang in there, and the best.

Auto Transport Service
Back