• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Lower Control Arm Bushing Removal

A12 Wanna Bee

Local time
7:56 PM
Reaction score
All, got a newbie question. First time doing my lower control bushings. I did the welded washer trick. I got the inner cup out, but there appears to be another part of the bushing still in the LCA, at least it appears to be the same material. My question is… is this piece part of the LCA or is there still a piece of the bushing that I need to get out. I would not have been able the catch this remaining piece with the weld with the bushing shell in place, so I am not really sure what to do next.

There is and outer sleeve, rubber, and inner sleeve. Nothing else.
Doug

Pictures are a beautiful thing... as Doug states, there are only two metal sleeves being an inner generally stuck to the pivot shaft and the outer stuck in the LCA bore.

Yeah, pics are a good thing. My first time to do a full front end rebuild had me scratchin my head and that was before the internet lol

Sorry, I tried to attach pictures, forgot to hit “insert”.
IMG_9801.jpeg
attach pictures…
IMG_9802.jpeg

That's just the rotating socket... (these are A body arms and tabs BTW)
1969dartswingercleanupweek4 088.JPG

Last edited:
Looks like the 'outer' sleeve is still in the control arm.....?

Yep that is the inner tubing that’s part of the torsion bar hex socket

Looks like you took welding on the washer pretty seriously... :lol: I usually just tack them & sometimes have to go back and burn them in a little more...

Looks like you took welding on the washer pretty seriously... :lol: I usually just tack them & sometimes have to go back and burn them in a little more...
Well, I don’t weld all that often, so I took the opportunity to practice a bit before my stabilizer plates and sway bar tabs get here from BAC. Plus I let the kid try his hand at it too. Nice of you notice though.

That's just the rotating socket...
View attachment 1642019
Hey Dadsbee, question about your sway bar tabs… They look a lot like the ones I got from BAC, aside from how it bends around the rivet on the inboard side. Are those factory tabs? Is that how the factory installed them? I have seen them mounted 180 degrees in the opposite way, but not the way yours are mounted. When I originally bought the car, it had a nice Hotchkis sway bar, but it was mounted to the LCA via the shock bolt and a piece of angle iron, kinda hokey if you ask me. I was seeing a lot of LCAs with the sway bar tabs mounted more towards the middle of the LCA, near the bump stop. I wasn’t sure how I was going to mount the tabs from BAC without getting in the way of the strut bar. The pic of yours really helped a lot in realizing the answer. Do you have any clearance issues between the strut and the tab when the arm articulates?

Last edited:
Hey Dadsbee, question about your sway bar tabs… They look a lot like the ones I got from BAC, aside from how it bends around the rivet on the inboard side. Are those factory tabs? Is that how the factory installed them? I have seen them mounted 180 degrees in the opposite way, but not the way yours are mounted. When I originally bought the car, it had a nice Hotchkis sway bar, but it was mounted to the LCA via the shock bolt and a piece of angle iron, kinda hokey if you ask me. I was seeing a lot of LCAs with the sway bar tabs mounted more towards the middle of the LCA, near the bump stop. I wasn’t sure how I was going to mount the tabs from BAC without getting in the way of the strut bar. The pic of yours really helped a lot in realizing the answer. Do you have any clearance issues between the strut and the tab when the arm articulates?
Those are factory A BODY LCA's and tabs.

B bodies are mounted the other way...
beerestoration2015-2016 1625.JPG
beerestoration2015-2016 1670.JPG

Quick note about getting that old bushing cup out, if you run a couple of beads around the inside and shrink it a little they pop right out.

Quick note about getting that old bushing cup out, if you run a couple of beads around the inside and shrink it a little they pop right out.
Thanks RJ, truth be told I butchered the other bushing cup during my first removal attempt, so I will give this a shot.

Curious if you are replacing the bushings with rubber or poly?

"Delrin" ?
Don't think you're gonna like
this. Not much give in hard
nylon type materials.
My 4-link has rubber
bushings instead of heim
joints for shock absorption
properties, as are the
bushings in both my upper
and lower a-arms.
You may find these
bushings are going