• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Lowest mileage A12 ever!? Well under 2,000 miles. SuperBee in Bahama Yellow aka "baby poop" brown...

With the size of those slicks it has to be tubbed?:(
I am almost certain that the wheel tubs were cut out, but I am also as certain that was where it ended. I can tell you all that the current owner is "old school" and has a deep respect and admiration for this example of "unobtanium" as car treasure goes.
I hope nobody restores it. Dragcars have so much more interesting history.
From what a few "devotees" who were gathered 'round the Bee said, it has a well known history for the time it was at the track.
What I thought was really cool, and I sincerely believe was a bit of "Devine intervention" or at least a little, simple, but for us and those who truly appreciate these kinds of cars AND the Great American Love Affair with "The Car Scene", a very cool thing happened while I was there: A guy came up to the owner and said he was a mechanic who worked on that car a number of times "back in the day".
What a cool history for a car that isn't a "Sox & Martin" etc etc kind of car.
I'll tell you all...
I was TRULY ABUNDANTLY BLESSED to come into my teens AND have a real love, LOVE for American Muscle Cars AND the ABUNDANT history, the multitude of stories (some I can tell as well) or all of the memories that @Budnicks told of street racing in California back when...What I was BLESSED to be a part of, in my own way, was a beautiful span of time that started when my dad was part of "the New Orleans car scene" on the street and at the race track, and how he would take my grandfather's Olds Rocket 88 w/a 3x2 bbl engine and go out cruising and occasionally racing, and the 56 Chevy that beat him so he bought that 56 210 Chevy. How he described the "stroked" 283 was a 292 and the cam was so "big" the car would bounce at idle. How he gave blood to earn money to fix the 4 speed once. How it was nicknamed "The Green Monster".
At the first race track I went down at 16, in my 71 Charger R/T but had seen so many race events at, LaPlace Dragway, and that I was at "The Last Drag Race" when they closed the track for good.
When I was 3 years old, and my dad bought a 65 GTO (which we have had the same year-our favorite model year by FAR-a "Royal Bobcat Tribute" real GTO for almost 10 years now) and with the most basic modifications (by necessity by the "stock" class he raced in) ordered from Royal Oak Pontiac (the same Royal Bobcat dealership) through Jake's Speed Shop, the same shop I bought some stuff from as a teenager, and how those mods allowed him to beat another 389 Tripower GTO and that he STILL has that 1st place trophy today...
And lastly, how riding one night w/him at the wheel of his new 69 B5 Blue 383 auto Roadrunner as a New Orleans policeman he placed the magnetic blue light on the dash and floored it as we climbed the High Rise Bridge on I-10 and he caught a guy who had blown past us just a minute or so before.
It was RIGHT THEN I became a permanent member of the Mopar family.
It just so happened that when I was a kid and a teenager, the Lakefront cruising scene was THE THING everyone did, and thousands of us would be there and do that all weekend, but once that era of my life came to a close in my early 20s so did cruising the Lakefront, NEVER to come to be again.
All of this and more is the heritage that we love so much, and we must FIGHT the political idiocy to preserve!

I am pretty sure it's a Louisiana car. Been in a garage since the early 70s. The numbers matching 440 6 Pack is intact, but not in the car as shown. I believe a 67 440 was built to race and installed very quickly once the A12 Bee was bought and brought straight to the dragstrip.
Original paint and body!
View attachment 1535263View attachment 1535264View attachment 1535265
I worked st Dodge City in Milwaukee in 1969.

We got an A12 butterscotch car in that summer....got vandalized ( stole wheels, hood, carbs, etc).

The car sat on it's brake drums until 1972-ish when a Minnesota dealer collector bought this car, and many other unsellable Mopar muscle cars, for his retirement fund.

I am almost certain that the wheel tubs were cut out, but I am also as certain that was where it ended. I can tell you all that the current owner is "old school" and has a deep respect and admiration for this example of "unobtanium" as car treasure goes.

From what a few "devotees" who were gathered 'round the Bee said, it has a well known history for the time it was at the track.
What I thought was really cool, and I sincerely believe was a bit of "Devine intervention" or at least a little, simple, but for us and those who truly appreciate these kinds of cars AND the Great American Love Affair with "The Car Scene", a very cool thing happened while I was there: A guy came up to the owner and said he was a mechanic who worked on that car a number of times "back in the day".
What a cool history for a car that isn't a "Sox & Martin" etc etc kind of car.
I'll tell you all...
I was TRULY ABUNDANTLY BLESSED to come into my teens AND have a real love, LOVE for American Muscle Cars AND the ABUNDANT history, the multitude of stories (some I can tell as well) or all of the memories that @Budnicks told of street racing in California back when...What I was BLESSED to be a part of, in my own way, was a beautiful span of time that started when my dad was part of "the New Orleans car scene" on the street and at the race track, and how he would take my grandfather's Olds Rocket 88 w/a 3x2 bbl engine and go out cruising and occasionally racing, and the 56 Chevy that beat him so he bought that 56 210 Chevy. How he described the "stroked" 283 was a 292 and the cam was so "big" the car would bounce at idle. How he gave blood to earn money to fix the 4 speed once. How it was nicknamed "The Green Monster".
At the first race track I went down at 16, in my 71 Charger R/T but had seen so many race events at, LaPlace Dragway, and that I was at "The Last Drag Race" when they closed the track for good.
When I was 3 years old, and my dad bought a 65 GTO (which we have had the same year-our favorite model year by FAR-a "Royal Bobcat Tribute" real GTO for almost 10 years now) and with the most basic modifications (by necessity by the "stock" class he raced in) ordered from Royal Oak Pontiac (the same Royal Bobcat dealership) through Jake's Speed Shop, the same shop I bought some stuff from as a teenager, and how those mods allowed him to beat another 389 Tripower GTO and that he STILL has that 1st place trophy today...
And lastly, how riding one night w/him at the wheel of his new 69 B5 Blue 383 auto Roadrunner as a New Orleans policeman he placed the magnetic blue light on the dash and floored it as we climbed the High Rise Bridge on I-10 and he caught a guy who had blown past us just a minute or so before.
It was RIGHT THEN I became a permanent member of the Mopar family.
It just so happened that when I was a kid and a teenager, the Lakefront cruising scene was THE THING everyone did, and thousands of us would be there and do that all weekend, but once that era of my life came to a close in my early 20s so did cruising the Lakefront, NEVER to come to be again.
All of this and more is the heritage that we love so much, and we must FIGHT the political idiocy to preserve!
Cut up an A12 one deserves 6 tours in SIBERIA..... (Butterscotch or 96 96 not baby ****) Baby Crap is a GM Color

I worked st Dodge City in Milwaukee in 1969.

We got an A12 butterscotch car in that summer....got vandalized ( stole wheels, hood, carbs, etc).

The car sat on it's brake drums until 1972-ish when a Minnesota dealer collector bought this car, and many other unsellable Mopar muscle cars, for his retirement fund.
I replaced the four hood spring pins on my A12 when I was daily driving it with four padlocks, each keyed different, for that very reason.

I am pretty sure it's a Louisiana car. Been in a garage since the early 70s. The numbers matching 440 6 Pack is intact, but not in the car as shown. I believe a 67 440 was built to race and installed very quickly once the A12 Bee was bought and brought straight to the dragstrip.
Original paint and body!
View attachment 1535263View attachment 1535264View attachment 1535265
Is that Bahama Yellow Bee for sale? I own and love mine since 1989. Yes, Bahama Yellow. I have a factory bulletin that went out to dealers outlining the introduction of the color.

The cars were mass produced on an assembly line. A lot of discrepancies happened from time to time. I think it was E-Berg that said all Mopars of the era except black and dark blue cars were painted black on the grill side of the rad support. My original Electric Blue ‘68 Satellite wagon only has a little spritz in the lower corner. I guess the gun ran dry. It’s completely blue looking through the grill from the factory. And OEM resto types will tell you it isn’t “correct”. Only it was, and is.
GG1 cars were not painted black on the grille side.

GG1 cars were not painted black on the grille side.
My wagon is QQ1 Electric Blue. I was just pointing out the assembly line inconsistencies. My Charger is dark green metallic EF8, and it is painted black behind the grill.

My wagon is QQ1 Electric Blue. I was just pointing out the assembly line inconsistencies. My Charger is dark green metallic EF8, and it is painted black behind the grill.
It probably depends on which plant built the car, who was manning the gun that day, and how hungover he was. At least the inconsistency was consistent.

It probably depends on which plant built the car, who was manning the gun that day, and how hungover he was. At least the inconsistency was consistent.
I guess I find it funny when you see resto’s all done similar. For instance… the X in a sloppy circle on Dana rear covers. Neither of my cars have that, and they weren’t repainted. Maybe the original owner’s thought it looked stupid and wiped it off. :D

Cut up an A12 one deserves 6 tours in SIBERIA..... (Butterscotch or 96 96 not baby ****) Baby Crap is a GM Color
To the best of my knowledge, my dad might have been the first one to call it that, certainly the first i heard, when he saw my runner for the first time. I laughed then, stiill think it's funny now

Is that Bahama Yellow Bee for sale? I own and love mine since 1989. Yes, Bahama Yellow. I have a factory bulletin that went out to dealers outlining the introduction of the color.
A Bee that color would be called "butterscotch" by Dodge, a Plymouth would be called "Bahama Yellow"
Same paint, same code (actually, three different codes for the same paint. edit 96, 96E, 99). Late 69, new on the A12s.
There is a rumor, I do NOT know if it's true, that Butterscotch was ONLY available from Dodge in 69 on a A12 Bee, but WAS available on certain Plymouth lines. It was certainly available on 383 rr's late in 69.
The color disappeared for 70, returned in 71 as EL5.

Last edited:
A Bee that color would be called "butterscotch" by Dodge, a Plymouth would be called "Bahama Yellow"
Same paint, same code (actually, three different codes for the same paint. edit 96, 96E, 99). Late 69, new on the A12s.
There is a rumor, I do NOT know if it's true, that Butterscotch was ONLY available from Dodge in 69 on a A12 Bee, but WAS available on certain Plymouth lines. It was certainly available on 383 rr's late in 69.
The color disappeared for 70, returned in 71 as EL5.
Here is a photo from a WW/NBOA newsletter. Bulletin #18 dated April 15, 1969 to all Dodge Dealers. Bahama Yellow sales code 96.
IMG_9130.jpeg
IMG_9130.jpeg

That contradicts everything I have ever seen .
Maybe they changed their minds, sometime after April 69?

@Vinny, can you answer the rumor that the ONLY 1969 Dodge that got 96,96, were the A12 superbee's?
I've seen 69 Plymouths in Bahama, but never a 69 Dodge, other than an A12.

These cars [pkg cars] were made for NHRA racing, and were supposed to evolve with the rules. Nobody was into the hobby to make millions off of schmucks 30-50 years later.

@Vinny, can you answer the rumor that the ONLY 1969 Dodge that got 96,96, were the A12 superbee's?
I've seen 69 Plymouths in Bahama, but never a 69 Dodge, other than an A12.
@33 IMP I can't answer that question with certainty. I definitely have seen a 69 road runner in that color. Others spotted by me were all 71's.....a Challenger, a Demon and a Satellite. I can inquire from the A12 registry if the color was being limited to only the A12 Bee in the Dodge lineup. It does appear so according to the Bulletin.

@33 IMP I can't answer that question with certainty. I definitely have seen a 69 road runner in that color. Others spotted by me were all 71's.....a Challenger, a Demon and a Satellite. I can inquire from the A12 registry if the color was being limited to only the A12 Bee in the Dodge lineup. It does appear so according to the Bulletin.
I have running bet with my best friend, whether we will see more butterscotch cars (mine) or A66 (hers) at the Spring Fling and Fall Fling shows in california. She always wins. There's always one or two butterscotch/ Bahama/ EL5 cars. We haven't seen a legit A66 in at least five years. (340, non R/T 1970 Challenger.) The majority of the butterscotch cars are 71s.

I wanted to chime in on this thread with some data. Currently, for the 1969 model year, there are no documented models other than A12 Super Bees (E87) and Roadrunners (E63 & E87) wearing the 96 paint code. Interestingly, there are no 1969 HEMI Roadrunners with a 96 paint code documented.

I have found no documentation indicating the 96 paint code being called "Butterscotch" in 1969 for Dodge. The documentation already posted in this thread indicate it was "Bahama Yellow" for both Dodge and Plymouth. More research is in progress on this topic.

D

After consulting other number junkies across the country, it appears that the Bahama Yellow was available on other models except the paint code was 99 (special order) vs 96. There is record of at least one Dart and one Charger, both from Hamtramck in 1969.

Research continues.....

D

Auto Transport Service
Back