• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Manual steering adjust

MTsenior

Local time
8:17 AM
Reaction score
Hey all, my 71 roadrunner has a lot of slop in steering. I have narrowed it down to the steering box. Looked to adjust it and the adjustment stud is sitting about flush to the locknut already. I am thinking it been adjusted in the past enough that there may be no adjustment left. How much of stud usually protrudes out from lock nut? thanks

Hey all, my 71 roadrunner has a lot of slop in steering. I have narrowed it down to the steering box. Looked to adjust it and the adjustment stud is sitting about flush to the locknut already. I am thinking it been adjusted in the past enough that there may be no adjustment left. How much of stud usually protrudes out from lock nut? thanks
If your slot is into the nut and you are sure everything else is tight than the box is past adjusting and is worn out.

That adjusting screw you mention is really not the correct way to adjust slop out of the box, but it will help some. Agree with the above post though. If that screw top is flush with the nut, it is time for a rebuild or replacement.

That adjusting screw you mention is really not the correct way to adjust slop out of the box, but it will help some. Agree with the above post though. If that screw top is flush with the nut, it is time for a rebuild or replacement.
What other adjustments are there? I know there are some set up procedures when the box is assembled but I am not aware of any normal field adjustments other than the adjuster screw.

What other adjustments are there? I know there are some set up procedures when the box is assembled but I am not aware of any normal field adjustments other than the adjuster screw.
The procedure is in the FSM. You need a big/special spanner wrench.

Thats what I thought you were referring to. I would have to read up on it but I did not think that was considered a normal field adjustment. I might be wrong but I thought is was just an assembly adjustment.

Angle grinder spanner works perfect...
beerestoration2015-2016 2183.JPG

I just looked that up and see what you mean. I remember doing that when you could see the worm gear moving in and out of the box by the coupler or rag joint. But that was a long time ago. It would be worth the posters time to watch as someone rocks the steering wheel. As I recall most of the time the boxes were pretty beat up because no one ever checked them for being lubricated. They ad been run dry for years and we ended up replacing them. We always had a lot of like new manual boxes on hand as Mopar had a power steering conversion kit and we did convert a lot of A-Bodies and F-Bodies back in the day.

I will probably just go with a OER replacement, they are pretty reasonable price and then can check out original box after I remove it. thanks for the input guys

In the car... BIG channel locks (or a punch and hammer) loosen the big lock nut. Try snugging up the bearing retainer I show above using a 4.5" grinder spanner. No cranking.. just see if there is any slop and take it out of the worm shaft then retighten the lock nut.

Auto Transport Service
Back