• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Morons!

BeeKool

Local time
11:59 AM
Reaction score
I move alot of snow in the winter. My dad kept borrowing my backhoes to move snow in town so I didn't always have both of them when needed. So he went and got his own loader tractor. A 2015 CIH 115 6.7 INVECO and a loader. A bit more than needed but a tractor that hopefully wouldn't involve anything more than basic annual maintenence. The hour meter say 200. Barely broke in. The salesman told him the oil had never been changed. He looked at it and bought it. We've used it about 75 hrs and I decided to change the oil today. This is what I found
20170119_170646.jpg

some knuckle dragger has rounded out the drain plug. It's a (I believe) 12mm hex. Or was anyway. I don't have an easy-out that will work because they are all too deep. The plug is recessed into the oil-pan so no vice-grips or channel locks. I'm hesitant to weld a nut to the plug because I don't want to **** up the electronics. Kind of a serious buzz kill. I had to walk away from it for the night. I was feeling good because last week I assembled and built an adapter to mount the sand/lime spreader on the 2 pt.
I'm not sure what pisses me off more: the numbskull who rounded out the plug on a brand new tractor, or the stupid engineers who felt the need to change the drain plug from the OldsKool external design to a recessed hex design. I have several older tractors with JD, AC, Cummins, Perkins powered and none of them have the stupid design of the newest ones. Some of them are 60 years old. All it takes is a crescent wrench. :BangHead::BangHead:

Two ideas :

1 - use standard size hex or something snug, off normal size. I've used Torx bits on hex heads that were rounded like that. Tap it in with a hammer.
2 - use a cutoff wheel and make it like a slotted head screw. At least it will give a place if you want to tap it out with a chisel and hammer.

I never thought of the second. Good idea, it would take a chisel. There is a drain plug on either side. One completely rounded, the other 3/4 rounded.

That sucks. Guess that's what happens when people use standard tools on metric fastners.

If you ground on the pan, close to the plug, or on the plug, then you can weld a nut to it. Path of least resistance.

Don't you love how they do things now days!

20170119_171556.jpg
why couldn't they just stick with this?

Time to find a set of blunt nosed extractors. Northern tool - Klutch Screw Extractor item #42124. A little pricey but will do the job. Your local NAPA may have a equal.

I had to do the hammer and chisel thing on my Mopar 7-1/4" rear diff fill plug (same "inner" type plug) which was rounded out from 40 years of service. Worked like a champ with a little torch heat.

It sucks that you need to do this on such a new vehicle though!!!

Drill it and use an easy-out and replace the plug
make sure you get all the metal out

I had to do the hammer and chisel thing on my Mopar 7-1/4" rear diff fill plug (same "inner" type plug) which was rounded out from 40 years of service. Worked like a champ with a little torch heat.

It sucks that you need to do this on such a new vehicle though!!!
2nd vehicle in 2 weeks. Traded off the old freightliner for an 07 international with an ISX Cummins. The plugs in it were rounded almost as bad and way over tightened. It took a 30" breaker bar to get them out. Probably means the last persons installed them with an impact. Morons!

Plugs made in china. Once I'm Dictator this will all change.
I thought about that. The tractor has DEF and several other electronics. I don't wish to void any power plant warranties. The machine was purchased private sale from a salesman at a CIH dealership. Just goes to show all vehicle salesmen are soul-less bastards

20170120_104424.jpg

Had to throw down $18 to get this hex/socket that will only get used once a year. Had to drive it in with a hammer

Auto Transport Service
Back