• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mystery Mudder

Bigfoots N Mopars

Local time
12:51 AM
Reaction score
I knew when I bought my Satellite, that I was going to do a big block swap. I was going to limit my budget to the money I made selling my Harley...don't laugh just yet!

IMG_0278.JPG

I figured $7000 would get me a rebuilt 440, a rebuilt 727, and a sure grip center section for my 8 3/4 rear end.

So I checked craigslist and found I would want to buy a fairly built 440, and for my price range I wasn't impressed with what I found...then i checked crate engines. I looked at the CME 522 thanks to guys on this forum, but that was beyond my budget.

Last edited:
I paid $4000 and the guy said he built this 512 after blowing up his 383. Said only ran it once, then it sat for 2 years. Well it has sat for another year at my house, and special thanks to a member on here for hooking me up with the Cope Racing Pro Strret reverse manual valve body 727 keeping me well under budget!

Thanks 66Satellite47, your awesome!

Last edited:
Not to be Mr. Negative I'd pull the pan, intake and valve covers before putting in a car. Especially if you never heard it run.

The engine had a lot of high end parts:weiand Hi Ram, Predator carbs, Milodon gear drive, Howard's Solid Roller .640 lift cam and roller lifters, untouched Stealth Heads with 1.6 Stealth shaft roller rockers, mezeire electric water pump and Milodon race oil pan with external lines...but the expensive parts probably never worked well together. The builder mentioned the valve springs were too weak for that cam.

Last edited:
My biggest fear was internal or block damage! Luckily after having the block checked, everything was good. Surfaces were square, bore was true and round cleaning up with mild honing. No cracks. The block was then drilled for main studs, line honed and de burred by my builder

Last edited:
So after taking it apart we're starting from block and rotating assembly, I sold everything else today for a total of $1700.00

Just ordered the Trick Flow 270 max wedge heads, and the same Indy max wedge single plane Andy F used. We're going to a double roller timing and a solid lifter cam. The Comp .650 lift

Still close to my original budget! Sort of? Of course now I'll need a Dana60...mini tubs? Well SH!T... what else can I sell

budgets break n bend all the time . your trick f's heads aren't cheap nor the rocker gear . good luck bending the budget .

budgets break n bend all the time . your trick f's heads aren't cheap nor the rocker gear . good luck bending the budget .
After selling the parts, I've got $300-$500 in the heads , but yes going to eat it on the valve train ! Everything else is reasonable, should be a simpler stronger engine when done.

Auto Transport Service
Back