• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need help for my 904

wlancaster793

Local time
3:32 PM
Reaction score
Need help with my 904 replaced front input shaft seal and front band goes in 1 2 drive but not reverse did not mess with low rear band setting just front band all works but reverse idk

Need help with my 904 replaced front input shaft seal and front band goes in 1 2 drive but not reverse did not mess with low rear band setting just front band all works but reverse idk
More info needed. You replaced the front seal only? And now everything functions correctly except reverse? Does it slip under hard acceleration on the 2/3 shift? Does it have engine pulldown in manual selction 1st gear? What happens when reverse is selcted? Bind up? Engine revs up? slight movement? No movement?
Doug

Tore down whole transmission like have before Time before no issues pulled every gear and reverse the time before I rebuilt transmission replaced clutch packs berings font band too second time did not mess with low reverse band adjustment should be same as before only thing I replaced is front input shaft seal drive gear on transmission pump and front band I had to release lock nut on band back out adjuster to fit newer front band then I guess lost the position of the front band adjuster,I was wondering if front band works in sync with the low reverse bands did not move low reverse bands that adjustment is locked tight In proper position just the front one I changed its in the car now no leaks proper pull in forward gears.. I know my car had it for 12 years now done all work on transmission and engine myself because no one either does not know about them or want me to pay thousands for just to look at it can't afford that so I do it myself thank you for any advice pointing me in right direction

Reverse is applied when the front clutch and rear band are activated. The forward band is applied in 2nd gear only. Still need answers to my questions in post #2 to help you.
Doug

More info needed. You replaced the front seal only? And now everything functions correctly except reverse? Does it slip under hard acceleration on the 2/3 shift? Does it have engine pulldown in manual selction 1st gear? What happens when reverse is selcted? Bind up? Engine revs up? slight movement? No movement?
Doug
Has reverse but when driving it slips on 2/3 shift goes up down revs up let off gas goes back down in driveway pulls hard in 1 2 3 and reverse but driving does the slip in 2nd 3rd shift on hard acceleration

When I first opened up pan removed valve body front band had play not tight or snug and it worked correctly now when driving I think front band too tight first pulls engine down a little but 2nd to drive slips our engine goes up and down let off accelerate goes in drive but push on gas goes up and down I and out of gear switching 2nd to 3rd and back if tried to torque to 72 lbs then back off 2 1/2 turns that's still really tight on clutch drum when first looked at front band it had play and worked ok
Reverse is applied when the front clutch and rear band are activated. The forward band is applied in 2nd gear only. Still need answers to my questions in post #2 to help you.
Doug

Doug

hen

The front band should have play. To adjust loosen the 3/4" front band lock nut a few turns. Tighten the 5/16" square head screw snug. Then watching the flats, count one flatata time. Loosen the square head screw exactly 2 turns (8 flats of the screw). While holding the square head screw so it wont move, tighten the 3/4" lock nut.
Doug

It has power grabs real good in reverse and drive in my driveway but take it out on road still slips out of gear when push accelerator let off goes in to gear what now I adjusted band correctly and when pull back in driveway smell something burning what could that be idk
The front band should have play. To adjust loosen the 3/4" front band lock nut a few turns. Tighten the 5/16" square head screw snug. Then watching the flats, count one flatata time. Loosen the square head screw exactly 2 turns (8 flats of the screw). While holding the square head screw so it wont move, tighten the 3/4" lock nut.
Doug

Which gear is slipping? 1st, 2nd, 3rd or all three gears?
Doug

Mostly 2nd to 3rd when push on gas comes out of gear let off goes back in when going slow but in driveway pushing hard in I guess first gear pulls hard and in reverse its the 2nd to 3rd slips out jumps from 2nd to 3rd then back for about 5 or 6 years the kick down linkage replaced with a choke cable I'm able to Dial it in on 2nd to 3rd shift always worked going up hill in 3rd gear pull on choke cable kicks down to 2nd gear worked until I changed out the kick down band lost the adjustment on band setting might be a combination of kickdown lever,filter, kickdown band when I rebuilt the transmission put brand new kickdown band on without changing the adjustment lock nut worked perfectly sometimes slip or jump when in drive3rd gear so installed a shift kit and manually shifted to stop jumping in 3rd gear worked really good taking off manually shifted 1,2 then ease into 3rd adjusted cable then hook up in 3rd and coming to a stop shift from 3rd to 2nd then to first gear helped slow car down ,I have Hurst promatic ratchet shifter,I just want to know if I gave to replace kickdown band because the used one not working like It should or something to do with top kickdown lever or maybe the filter any help would be much appreciated thank you Doug
Which gear is slipping? 1st, 2nd, 3rd or all three gears?
Doug

The kickdown actually adds fluid pressure. My bet is that your choke cable setup has not been used during harder accel early enough. This has allowed full throttle shifts (or higher load shifts) at far below the the 90-100 psi needed to fully clamp the high/reverse clutch pack. This would be the clutch in the forward location in the trans. The clutch frictions are now most likely damaged causing a 2/3 slip condition. This will cause issues in reverse as well. The trans needs to come apart. You also either need to swap to a manual shift valve body or get the proper linkage set up.
Doug

So it might be the used kickdown band need a new one yes the first one had pieces of friction material in the pan the used one not enough friction material on it ....but under hard acceleration I put handle of cable right on my ratchet shifter handle so can operate it with shifter hand on hard acceleration so i have to replace used kickdown band cause after I drive It I smell a burning smell that never happened before when in use

So it might be the used kickdown band need a new one yes the first one had pieces of friction material in the pan the used one not enough friction material on it ....but under hard acceleration I put handle of cable right on my ratchet shifter handle so can operate it with shifter hand on hard acceleration so i have to replace used kickdown band cause after I drive It I smell a burning smell that never happened before when in use
FB_IMG_1639882436020.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back