• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New day new questions, part 2…swap wisdom

bcOH67

Local time
10:13 PM
Reaction score
Hey everyone, looking for some wisdom. I currently have a 67 charger, 383 with a bigger cam (400?) and a 3spd auto 727. It is an AC car with the box currently removed and will eventually have the vintage air kit. It will one day be a 440 or bigger with the tremec 6spd.

Question is- I can’t afford the engine right now. I can afford either the transmission swap or the vintage air unit…in my mind the proper thing to do is the engine first and then everything else. But I don’t know anything about anything involving this stuff…and I’m impatient haha…so Would it be dumb to just go ahead and do the transmission swap now if I’m planning to replace the engine in a couple years? Or is in not that big of a deal? Same with the ac kit. It’s the least important to me, but the wife would disagree haha, so would it be smarter to wait on the new engine with that as well? Or is it better to be patient.

thanks for any insight. Brian

Last edited:
If the 383 runs fine,and you want to get started,I'd say tranny swap.
Everything will bolt right up to the 440 swap later. A/C can go in when the 440 does, Unless Mama overrules !
Remember this, what ever it costs today, it'll cost more tomorrow..

Something i learned skydiving : hesitation kills. You will pay more for what you want tomorrow than what you should have gotten today. USPA C#29915

Auto Transport Service
Back