• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New guy with a '62 Belvedere.

carhunter

Local time
6:27 AM
Reaction score
Hello everybody, I'm glad to finally be on this amazing web site. I joined because I need some help with my 1962 Plymouth Belvedere. I traded my Toyota for it; the guy recently found it in a barn. It is all original and surprisingly came with air-conditioning. I have been working on the 225 slant 6. One morning it refused to start and hasn't since. I am getting spark and fuel. I have also been playing with the timing. Hopefully I can find a resolution on here.

Attachments

• 2013-09-07 18.22.13.jpg
    2013-09-07 18.22.13.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 233
Sweet barn find dude....... And smart trade......:icon_salut:

How fresh is the fuel? If it has sat a decade or two, time to flush gas tank and lines, rebuild carb and replace all ignition parts from points to plugs....

toyota.jpg

Last edited:
hi and welcome to the site you`ll find a lot of info here and a lot great guys to help you out ,there is also a post the was started for photos 62-65 so post some photos there have fun :headbang:

Thanks for joing the forum!
Welcome aboard.
I love you 62!
I'm re-doing a 63 Dodge among other things.

How do you like what "Plucked" did to your car pic?

LOL!

welcome to FBBO

It is AWSOME!!!

- - - Updated - - -

I have replaced the points and gaped them at .020 . The condenser was replaced today because the spark is yellow. I have read it is supposed to be blue. I have also put a new cap, wires, and rotor button in place. The spark plugs are ok and gapped correctly.

The car has fresh fuel because I had recently put 50 miles on it. The carburetor (ball & ball) was in bad physical shape, yet it got me home (the accelerator pump was no good).

I found and put a rebuilt single barrel Rochester Mono-jet carb on the car, (after it quit running) still no luck.

It was obviously owned buy someone who didn't care or have the right parts. The alternator is of Chevrolet kind. They bypassed the alternator on/off regulator. When the car ran the charging system did work properly; however, I'm not sure if that is causing starting issues now.

The ballast seems to work. The coil is getting 6 volts. The coil has 12V printed on side as well as "Use with ballast."

I have used an ignition switch that I know works.

Hi Carhunter, welcome and thanks for joining. That car looks mean from that angle!

About your spark, do you mean the spark is yellow while cranking, or just with the ignition on and you make-and-break the points to check for spark? There should be full battery voltage to the coil during the starting cycle, not 6 volts.

Welcome from Ct. Nice to see another 62 Ply on here. Have fun and thanks for joining...

Auto Transport Service
Back