• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New to forums and car-resto, any tips?

Welcome aboard and thanks for joining!

Also, one big thankyou for your service to our country!

Now, my suggestion for you (you asked) :
DO NOT go to Chicago and get shot!
LOL!

Again, thanks for all you have done

Welcome to FBBO. Thanks for your service to the USofA!! Plan on double what you think you'll spend on her. These cars are high maintenance but well worth it. Above all, have fun at it!!!

Welcome! I'm in the same boat, a 71 RR Shell for the most part! Keep us updated on the build!

Welcome home and thanks for your service. What branch??? Army tanker myself back in the day in M-60A1 and finally was a Tank Commander in an M1-A1 Abrams. You have a great car to start with. I've owned 4 different 73 Chargers. All were SE models. One was a highly optioned 440 car, slap stick auto, with a sunroof and power windows. The others were all 318 cars. Feel free to ask with any questions. Definitely build the engine while it is out of the car. Do any body work / painting while it is out if you can. You just have to be careful when you install the engine back in. It's a whole lot easier now while apart.

Get the factory service manual for your year and model. It is a wealth of info, much of which you won't find elsewhere. Reproductions are out there, ignore how much it costs, just do it, you wont regret it.

X2 on the manuals....also there have been several discussions on 318 build ups on this site that you should check out..... It's a neglected small block which I think suffers only from being so common...

welcome to the site and enjoy the spirited opinions and helpfully advice.

You can start here....

http://www.forbbodiesonly.com/moparforum/showthread.php?52526-318-Performance-Mods

and then go here for a budget minded approach

http://www.forbbodiesonly.com/moparforum/showthread.php?52625-Advice-for-Increasing-Horsepower-318

Hello All, I'm sorry I haven't gotten the pics up yet, I've actually put my own project on hold to help my nephew out with his very first car (94 camaro). So I've been gutting out his car to replace carpet and redo all his interior and such, which I'm sure will help me get a really good idea of how to start working on my project. If it's nice tomorrow I will uncover the ole gal and snap a few pictures of her.

On a related note, I have to re-wire my entire car from scratch, and I've been looking to order the entire wiring harness kit from classic industries, but I'm not sure which kit to order, could anyone help me out so I can get started on wiring my gal so I can lay my carpet down? I'd greatly appreciate it, the links to the two harnesses are below.

http://www.classicindustries.com/mopar/parts/500695.html#.UY3KHrUWKHs (22 circuit - 15 panel connection)
[h=1]or
http://www.classicindustries.com/mopar/parts/500703.html#.UY3ML7UWKHs (15 circuit - 8 panel connection)
[/h]
I'd really like to start wiring her up so I at least have that.

Since the last time I posted I have ordered the weather stripping for the trunk, doors and rails and the carpet. I also opened up my car and found that I have a LOT of items that I didn't know I had inside (trim, hood hinges, vents, etc) so that made me really happy because it's going to save me a lot of money. As always, I appreciate all comments, and information and as mentioned, I will try to get those pictures up as soon as I can. I'm taking my nephew to get his paint for the outside of his car and some fabric paint and such for his seats. I should be finished with his car as soon as his carpet comes in the mail and I'll be able to start on mine. Thanks a lot guys.

-Andrew
[h=1][/h]

Welcome home and thanks for your service. What branch??? Army tanker myself back in the day in M-60A1 and finally was a Tank Commander in an M1-A1 Abrams. You have a great car to start with. I've owned 4 different 73 Chargers. All were SE models. One was a highly optioned 440 car, slap stick auto, with a sunroof and power windows. The others were all 318 cars. Feel free to ask with any questions. Definitely build the engine while it is out of the car. Do any body work / painting while it is out if you can. You just have to be careful when you install the engine back in. It's a whole lot easier now while apart.

Thanks for the advice! much appreciated! I was a 68w1P (Combat Medic, Airborne). I was with the 82nd Airborn div. out of Fort Bragg in NC.

- - - Updated - - -

Hello Andrew!!!

Still waiting for the pics!!!!:hello2:

not sure if it posted last time, but I'm glad I copied it in case it didn't / doesn't.

Hello All, I'm sorry I haven't gotten the pics up yet, I've actually put my own project on hold to help my nephew out with his very first car (94 camaro). So I've been gutting out his car to replace carpet and redo all his interior and such, which I'm sure will help me get a really good idea of how to start working on my project. If it's nice tomorrow I will uncover the ole gal and snap a few pictures of her.

On a related note, I have to re-wire my entire car from scratch, and I've been looking to order the entire wiring harness kit from classic industries, but I'm not sure which kit to order, could anyone help me out so I can get started on wiring my gal so I can lay my carpet down? I'd greatly appreciate it, the links to the two harnesses are below.

http://www.classicindustries.com/mopar/parts/500695.html#.UY3KHrUWKHs (22 circuit - 15 panel connection)
[h=1]OR
http://www.classicindustries.com/mopar/parts/500703.html#.UY3ML7UWKHs (15 CIRCUIT - 8 PANEL CONNECTION)
[/h]

Since the last time I posted I have ordered the weather stripping for the trunk, doors and rails and the carpet. I also opened up my car and found that I have a LOT of items that I didn't know I had inside (trim, hood hinges, vents, etc) so that made me really happy because it's going to save me a lot of money. As always, I appreciate all comments, and information and as mentioned, I will try to get those pictures up as soon as I can. I'm taking my nephew to get his paint for the outside of his car and some fabric paint and such for his seats. I should be finished with his car as soon as his carpet comes in the mail and I'll be able to start on mine. Thanks a lot guys.

-Andrew

Also, another quick question. I know I already have a 318 with a 904 tranny but, I was thinking of going the 440 / 727 route. I found a 440/727 for a good price but it is out of a dodge sportsman RV. should I steer clear of that or would that still work after the boring and all of that? Thanks.

ArcAngle welcome again & thanks for you military service.... This thread & all these questions should really be all in the Members Restoration/Project, Specific Year Forum &/or the General discussion sections, not really continuing in the Welcome Wagon... you will get far more responses & input... carry on just a thought

Thanks for your service and welcome aboard. I just saw a 1973 on Counting Cars, you outta check it out "sweet" maybe give ya some ideas. As for the carb question I'd go with Holley over the Edelbrock any day but like Demons even better, most likely 650cfm.

Thanks for the advice! much appreciated! I was a 68w1P (Combat Medic, Airborne). I was with the 82nd Airborn div. out of Fort Bragg in NC.

- - - Updated - - -

not sure if it posted last time, but I'm glad I copied it in case it didn't / doesn't.

[h=1]OR
http://www.classicindustries.com/mopar/parts/500703.html#.UY3ML7UWKHs (15 CIRCUIT - 8 PANEL CONNECTION)
[/h]

-Andrew

Really! You put a Mopar project on hold, so you can work on a Chevy? And then you have the nerve to come here and ask for help???

Seriosly, all joking aside. That is great that you are helping your nephew with his first car. I'm sure that you two will have a great time working together.

I like the way you put it; working on his will help you get a good idea on how to work on yours. Good point... better to screw up a Chevy than a Mopar.!!!

J/K!!!

As to having certain items, don't get too excited thinking you'll save money. Sometimes restoring the originals can cost more than buying new repro pieces.
Not saying it's going to be that way, but it is something to keep in mind.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, another quick question. I know I already have a 318 with a 904 tranny but, I was thinking of going the 440 / 727 route. I found a 440/727 for a good price but it is out of a dodge sportsman RV. should I steer clear of that or would that still work after the boring and all of that? Thanks.

A s long as it's in good shape internally you shouldn't have any issues. Just remember that if you're going from the 318 to a 440 you'll need a different K frame as well.

A s long as it's in good shape internally you shouldn't have any issues. Just remember that if you're going from the 318 to a 440 you'll need a different K frame as well.[/QUOTE]

@SATMAN72 - Ahhh, Thanks, I appreciate it. and Actually, the Chevy is coming out very well :) I got the interior almost back in, I just replaced the carpet and put in the new headliner and seats... now just to put in all trim / moldings and to paint the outside and done. but yeah, that means my mopar should come out much much better :)

@747MOPAR Thanks a lot, I've been doing some research and I stumbled across the Demons in my attempt to find out just how beefy a 318 could be while determining if I'm going to just go for the 440.

@Budnicks - Thanks for the advice, I'll probably post a thread on there now, however, the only reason I was staying here was so the original commenters who were helping me could see updates and such. but now that I know about the forum threads you mentioned, I can just post a link here when I make the new thread. thanks.

Auto Transport Service
Back