• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Newbie from Southern Indiana

Thanks Guys. I certainly hope it goes better from here out!! Couldn't be much worse, though I guess I should be thankful that nothing disappeared along the way and I still have my car!! :)

Life is like a roll of toilet paper, the closer you get to the end the faster it goes.

Glad things are finally working out.

franken.jpg
:D

Welcome from Central Illinois. I am not fast at body work but I seem to be able to get straight panels! let me know if you ever need help, you can do most of the work yourself!

So have you managed to build the motor or trans or anything over the last 7 years lol

So have you managed to build the motor or trans or anything over the last 7 years lol

Sadly no. I had lost confidence in when it was ever going to get done, and didn't want to put much into more parts for a project that wasn't progressing. I did collect some parts I would need, and stockpiled away a bunch of cash to fund the project. I tore my 440 down and it had sat so long, moisture got into one of the cylinders and badly rusted the cylinder wall right above the piston at the bottom of it's stroke. Haven't been able to get it to move because I can't get it to turn either way.

I did pick up a complete all stock 440 out of a '68 Fury. Got the whole motor front to back and top to bottom. At first we were worried because it wouldn't turn, but found out the transmission was locked up solid. Soon as we disconnected that, the motor turned over nicely. Inside of the motor is clean and getting ready to get rebuilt.

Now I need to find a good recipe to build a good torque motor. I've been looking at various threads on here and FABO to try to find a good street set-up. Not looking for anything too hot. Need to retain enough vacuum to run the vacuum switches for lights and heaters, but would like to have a little extra torque to it for the occasional throttle drop while cruising. This won't be a racer. Just a fun cruiser that I can occasionally jump on some.

Just found out my car is in the schedule to start getting worked on Jan 22nd.

Oh,... and transmission is being converted to 4-speed, so that will consist of ordering a pallet full of parts from Brewer's Performance to do the switch-over. I already have the mount for the Z-bar, that welds to the frame, up at the shop so they can weld it in before painting the engine compartment.

As I said before,... after all this time, I am a little gun-shy about this actually getting done, so preparation consists of a LONG list of parts and prices that can be ordered once the body starts making some progress.

Welcome from Central Illinois. I am not fast at body work but I seem to be able to get straight panels! let me know if you ever need help, you can do most of the work yourself!

Thanks for the offer Rescue! Where are you at in Illinois? I go through there every time I head back up to Minnesota. I take I74 to Bloomington, then up through Rockford on I39 to avoid Chicago.

Welcome back, from the Pacific Northwest... like Ironbuilt, I hope your restoration is more productive this pass...

Auto Transport Service
Back