• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Opinions on rear gears

somethings wrong with your math. 4000 rpm 3.23 gear 26" tire = 87 mph

the 80 mph can be done with 3400 rpm 3.23 gear 28" tires. Compared to the same with 4.10 gears at 63 mph. MY Charger RT is built for the 63 MPH range with 4.10 gears. it really likes that 3400 rpm range. Top mph is 126. If speed limits continue climbing the 3.23 will get real attractive.

That's why it all in the build.

Yup I fixed the math in a later post.

Just run the 3.23 if you don't drive very far from home. I run 4.10 gears with a 4 speed but only drive 5 miles in a 55 zone to get into town and keep her at 3k rippums.

First gear seems kind of tall with this setup but that's another thread I suppose

Don't you think it would be too soft on the bottom end?
Too soft - no, not in my book, not if he has decent cylinder pressure. Valve adjustment can be loosened if you want to sharpen up the low end a bit. But honestly, I don't get all the infatuation with low speed grunt. I'd much rather have more HP and the resultant faster car.

I'll take HP.

To the OP, the 3.23 would be OK, but I bet you'd be happier with a 3.55 for combination driving. My '70 Barracuda had 3.23 with a 12" converter. Sluggish off the line, would go 120 MPH though. With a mild 440 that could run to 5500 RPM I'd go 3.55 & a 28"ish tire. Just my opinion.

I almost bought a new carrier with 3.91 gears. I'm sure glad I didnt. I'm not saying they aren't a great ratio for certain driving, but I finally took my car out after years of restoration, and enjoyed a nice drive with the 2.71's. Now I dont have a tach, but it seems at 50mph it not only revs at a good level, but throttle response was excellent as well. I'm thinking a 3.23 now, just to bridge the difference from too high to too low.

Looks like a 26" tire, 3.23 gear & 4000 RPMs is about 95 MPH....

Screen Shot 2019-09-02 at 20.11.14.png

How about a 29" tall tire,4:10's and a Gear Venders unit. That would be like a 3:20 with a tall tire.

wild where did you find that program?

It use to be hosted by a company called Vexer... But it went away... I mentioned it to Cody over on Ebodies.org & he had someone search for in in time machine.. They were able to salvage the code Cody tried to contact the people for permission but had no luck... In the end he hosted it on his website & credits Vexer... Hopefully no one fills out a report on it..

Anyway if you search Vexer Speedometer it pops up...

butt_hurt.jpg

With my solid motor mounts, 383ci 8 barrel, a Winters built 727 and shifter, L60-15 rear tires, super stock springs and 3.91 rear gears, we were in our glory in town, on the streets, light to light. I always thought there was a difference between having a fast car and a quick car.

I vote for 3.23 all the way. Great combination. 2.94 should also be ok with a 440. Especially as you say solely as a cruiser.

Gentlemen,
I had the opportunity to change the 4.10 gears in the Dana 60 in the GTX to 3.54 ratio. A move I absolutely regret not doing. The 4.10 gears are great for cruzin Woodward Avenue Detroit Michigan, where there are many traffic light contests or going to local car cruises. Its absolutely no fun cruising the interstates or high ways at 3000 RPM (self imposed limit) getting 7-8 MPG of 115 octane leaded Sunoco fuel, going 56 MPH and being passed by 100% of the traffic.
The car will go faster but fuel MPG gets worse, 6-7 MPG, and the engine will run hotter...210°F. It needs the 115 octane fuel because of the 11:1 compression ratio.....my other mistake. Oh well....live and learn....
Bob Renton

Auto Transport Service
Back