• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Paint colors for front suspension

So when it says "cast iron gray" does that mean the factory actually painted it with some sort of "cast iron gray" paint over the cast iron, or was it just unfinished? If the latter, did they do any sort of coating to protect the part?

So when it says "cast iron gray" does that mean the factory actually painted it with some sort of "cast iron gray" paint over the cast iron, or was it just unfinished? If the latter, did they do any sort of coating to protect the part?
The factory did not paint parts to mimic cast, bare steel, heat treated finishes.....It was bare natural finishes....

As Wayne said above, ready to rust...

Thanks, guys. Looks like I'll just pick up some RPM instead of having to worry about priming/painting/top coating for a lot of these parts.

a little wd40 periodically on those bare parts will do wonders......

Thanks, guys. Looks like I'll just pick up some RPM instead of having to worry about priming/painting/top coating for a lot of these parts.
Everything "bare" on mine is coated in RPM, used an old oven to warm the parts up to apply. The lower control arms are dipped in the correct Cosmoline and I did it on a day the dip tank was topped up! lol RPM'd the ball joint stud socket end only. Brake backing plates were painted with high heat BBQ paint to simulate black phosphate coating the factory used.
beerestoration2017 1937.JPG
beerestoration2015-2016 1658.JPG
beerestoration2015-2016 2166.JPG

Yes. You can use what the factory did instead of relying on some restorer's interpretation.

Mopar Chassis Color Chart

Legend:
BC: Body Color
GB: Gloss Black
SB: Semi-gloss Black
CI: Cast Iron Gray
N: Natural Steel or Aluminum
MP: Manganese Phosphate
CC: Color Code

(*): Some Mopar core supports are body color with semi-gloss black sprayed
on the grill side. There are some variables from what is shown above.

Assembly:
Front Unibody subframe assembly BC
Inner Fenders BC
Firewall BC
Core Support BC*

Transmission Components:
Transmission N/CC
Driveshaft N/CC
Transmission and driveshaft Yoke N/CC
Differential Housing SB
Clutch Linkage N

Brake Components:
Brake Drums SB/N
Disk Brake Shields N
Calipers CI
Master Cylinder GB or CI

Axle/Suspension Components:
Axles N/CC
Third Member SB
Upper Control Arm GB
Lower control Arm GB
Inner and Outer Tie Rods N/CC
Tie Rod Adjustment Sleeve SB
Center Link MP/CC
Idler Arm/Bracket CI/CC
Suspension Components(con’t) Strut Rods CI/CC
Torsion Bars GB/CI/CC
Shocks SB/CC
Rear End U-Bolts N/CC
Rear Leaf Springs N/SB/CC
Backing Plates GB
Spindles CI/CC
Anti-Sway Bars N/CC

Steering Components:
Pitman Arm CI/CC
Steering Box N/CC

Exhaust Systems:
Muffler Hangers and Clamps N
Exhaust System and Mufflers N

Gas Tank Components:
Gas Tank N
Gas Tank Straps N/GB
Gas and Brake Lines N
Thanks for posting this list ,will help a lot
on my build

Thanks for posting this list ,will help a lot
on my build

You're welcome John, but it certainly has been proven to be no Bible. As was pointed out earlier, you're probably better off using it as a basic guide while researching true factory style restorations if you want a "Points" kind of result.

Okay, so what about (this is for a '73):

all the various little bolts, nuts, washers, castle nuts? I heard manganese phosphate?
torsion bar adjuster blocks (they sit inside the LCA)?
sway eliminator strap cushion straps (clamps to struts)?

Last edited:

all the various little bolts, nuts, washers, castle nuts? I heard manganese phosphate?
strut rod bushing clamps?
Wish I could help but out of my scope...

strut rod bushing clamps?
Wish I could help but out of my scope...

Thanks for the response anyway.

For all the bolts, washers, fasteners: I'm just going to parkerized all the nuts/bolts, unless it is included with the new MOOG part and, if that's the case, it's getting the RPM treatment.
Looks like the sway eliminator shaft cushion straps (that's a mouthful) are natural, at least per alleged NOS parts on E-bay, so RPM it is.
No one will ever see the torsion bar adjuster block, so RPM it is. And when the LCA get my poor-man's Cosmoline-like treatment (RPM followed by Maximus Chain Lube), it will be a non-issue.

I'm really driving myself nuts OCD'ing on all this stuff. It's JUST a '73 and will be a driver anyhow... Sheesh, I gotta learn to live a little...

If it's not an OEM type resto....do what ya like. I powder-coated all my stuff to personal taste.

148nbeh.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back