• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Painting dash control letters 1969 Coronet R/T

1969CoronetR/T

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
12:57 PM
Reaction score
My dash has the paint of the lettering for the controls barely visible. How would these be painted and what color code what it be for the 1969 Coronet R/T? Is there an easier way than with a steady hand and a fine paintbrush?
Thanks,
Mark
DSC01840.jpg

DSC01839.gif

On model cars, and small lettering on my past cars i use a straw from a broom to do things like this, I think it would work here but be time consuming. I cant help you with the shade of white you need. If you have something this small to practice on you may find it will work..

Mark, check the thread about chrome around gauges in here, i just posted a picture of the letterning on my roadrunner emblem for the dash that i did with a Krylon Silver leafing pen. It has a beveled tip like a marker and works very well. There are other brands that have medium or fine tip that would do the job also. I think this might work for your lettering.
Cheers
Paul

Depending on how raised the letters are from the background (I have no experience with this type of dash), you might be able to paint a flat but sort of forgiving surface like a small piece of the carboard from a notepad, then press that on to the lettering gently. If done carefully, it will only transfer paint onto the raised letter portion and the softness of it will transfer the paint quite nicely. Might be worth a try. I did this to my Satellite dash emblem and it turned out great, after a horrible failure with a brush and steady hand.

I was thinking of using a small hard roller. I am not very patient and a brush seems the hard way to do it.

I was thinking of using a small hard roller. I am not very patient and a brush seems the hard way to do it.

That would probably work too, just be super careful not to push the roller in too hard. That's why the cardboard works well, you'd really have to try to push it in hard enough to put paint between the letters.

Get a silver paint pen or silver leafing pen, either medium rounded tip or medium beveled tip. They are only a couple of bucks and will save you a lot of grief. I am using one to re do the edging on my gauge cluster, dash emblems, and ac vent edging. Its a great way to go especially if you are not patient!!!!!

I will try the paint pens. I am learning patience with three daughters under the age of five.
I will update once complete.
Thanks,
Mark

I found that for me a tooth pick worked better than a brush.

The paint pens do work very well, I just completed mine with one.

IP lettering.....

I used a fine point sharpie paint pen.... Cheap on ebay, or at an office supply store.

Attachments

• dash%20installed%20(Large) (Large).jpg
    dash%20installed%20(Large) (Large).jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 635
Heater Controp knobs

I'm looking to replace the heater control knobs on my 69R. Ant suggestion where I can buy them?

look for the paint pens at any hobby lobby store,wal-mart, or any other store that sells art and craft supplies.

I have a couple paint pens and still have to take the dash out to paint it. Hopefully I can do it this weekend.

Here is some inspiration. I just got done refurbishing my 73 Roadrunner instrument cluster. I used the Krylon Silver leafing paint pen on the "chrome" areas around the gauges, and I used the Krylon Brights Flourescent Paint pen on the gauge needles. I also put in new gaskets around the blinkers, bright light indicator and a new seal around the wiper motor and light switch area plus the ones that seal off the switches.

PS, both of the paint pens are from Hobby Lobby

Attachments

• Instrument cluster small.jpg
    Instrument cluster small.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 591
lettering

i restore and sell them, clean it good,dry it,use a primer,use textured black paint,last do the lettering with a sharpie white enamel pen with fine tip, and a magnifying class go slow and becarefull with the letters E and S they can drip easy do the lettering 3 times drying one day each time.

DSC02155.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back