• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pinholes

Local time
4:21 PM
Reaction score
Hi, What is the best way to fix pinholes in the roof( other than replacing it). I have some where the headliner bows where. Thanks in advance

you need to post up some photos of the area some one can help you out

Hi, What is the best way to fix pinholes in the roof( other than replacing it). I have some where the headliner bows where. Thanks in advance

The best way to weld up pin holes in sheetmetal is to get on the backside of the panel and have someone hold a piece of copper contoured to match the surface you are fixing with a set of vice grips against the holes. Then from the other side fill in the holes with weld. The weld will not stick to the copper. Don't get to close to the panel and move the arc enough so you don't warp the panel. Set the welder on a lower setting with the wire speed in the mid range. Just use quick, spot welds and you should be fine. If the area is to bad for just spot welds, cut the affected area out and use the same process to weld in the patch panel. It also helps to keep the area around your repairs cool while welding to help reduce warpage.

Joe

Thanks for replies, Did a goggle search and some had different stuff that you can apply, but I,ve done the copper penny on other areas of car with great Results,, There's about a dozen on the roof. Thanks

carefull to look for thin metal.if the bows wore through the roof you mat have to replace a section since the metal will be to thin and you will just burn through it when trying to weld.copper plumming pipe pounded flat is great nonstick backing material,just a tip i have found to work well.

Trust me on this. If there are pinholes there, there's a LOT more damage than pinholes. You need to blast it to find all of the damage. You will likely be putting metal in the roof, or replacing the roof altogether. If Donny sees this, he'll tell you.

The problem with trying to weld up pinholes is that they get bigger the more you try to weld. You will end up doing alot of body work on the roof. I would clean up the inside and use fiberglass mat and resin to seal it up. The only problem with that would be to getting it to hang there until cured. It all depends on your intentions with the car also as to how much effort you want to put into it. Good Luck.

If the holes are from rust make sure to get it all. If there from wear then just weld. Go slow, Don't chase the hole if it burns through let it cool and go and. DO NOT BLAST! It will warp. Copper works good. I like higher heat with a quick touch. It can be done. I filled over 50 holes in my wheel lip patches where it had pitted from the inside.
Doug

- - - Updated - - -

If the holes are from rust make sure to get it all. If there from wear then just weld. Go slow, Don't chase the hole if it burns through let it cool and go and. DO NOT BLAST! It will warp. Copper works good. I like higher heat with a quick touch. It can be done. I filled over 50 holes in my wheel lip patches where it had pitted from the inside.
Doug

Attachments

• racecar 168.jpg
    racecar 168.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 209
  • B36.jpg
    B36.jpg
    128.8 KB · Views: 211
Do not try welding on the roof unless you really know what you are doing. The surface area is so large that shrinking will happen extremley easy. I promiss you if you weld and do it improperly you will weld a pinhole if you dont make it larger you will see a dent or huge wave in the metal when everything cools from shrinking. Another effect will be loose or floppy metal possibly that will require shrinking to tighten up. My advice is clean it the best as possible with a wire brush use some rust killer / inhibitor and seal it. Use some knind of a backing sytem to cover the wholes. If this a show car just replace the roof. Out of all places on the car the roof is the hardest to deal with in my experience. But nothing is impossible you can definitley fix it multiple ways with great success.

My 2 cents for what it's worth......Take a wire wheel and run it over the area's with pinholes. My guess would be since the holes follow the headliner bows there's a lot of other rotted metal along that line that will open right up when a little pressure is applied with the wheel. If so, don't waste you're money on blasting because it's just going to swiss cheese the roof just like the wire wheel will, but then you'll be paying to have it destroyed. Either graft in new metal like '67 Coronet mentioned or replace the roof if that's the case. Isolated pin holes here and there......weld them. Quick short bursts. Like mentioned, if you're not good at welding, a roof is not the best place to start learning...likes to warp, being a big flat piece of metal with no edges, corners, or bodylines to soak up the heat.

Unless I can find a better roof( 65 Satellitte). It will be going to someone that can do this.Car came from Washington , so I guess the good old sea salt starts at the top and works it,s way down, Can you blast a car with media ( glass) on low psi. To find all the bad spots on roof. Thanks again

I would use bronze Silicone filler rod. You can do it with a tig at very low amprege or you can do it with Bronze .030 Mig wire. it melts at far lower temperatures but requires that you pre clean all areas, thern sand them to bare metal.

Auto Transport Service
Back