• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Possible causes for sudden ignition loss

440fish

Local time
2:34 PM
Reaction score
Yesterday while cruising at 3k rpms the ignition momentarily "flashed" to complete dead for about 1 second. (this happened twice) No other symptoms other than it was like you cut out the ignition. Starts fine, runs perfect. Drove another 20 miles after this occurred and didn't do it again. Figured a lose wire but everything to the MSD is tight and clean. Cant find a lose connection anywhere under the hood.

Could the key switch be on the fritz? It appears to be original (1969)

Any ideas of other things to check? Id rather not get stuck on the side of the road lol.

Bulkhead connections is my first guess.

I'm sure you know an intermittent problem is going to be hard.
Bulkhead with low voltage?
Like he said. Check that.

Any ideas of other things to check? Id rather not get stuck on the side of the road lol.

Which is exactly why I like a plug and a spare ECU.
Once bitten, twice shy.
Anyway, that's ancient history and all these electronic parts are changed to different sources over the years.
But here's something you could do.
On that car it gave me intermittent trouble and I wired a back up ECU with a terminal block.
I could swap ignitions by moving terminals.
Sometimes it would run on the Orange box when the MSD would not.
I always suspected a reluctor issue.

I had the same problem .I was driving down the road and the radio made a loud weird noise and the motor just quit.No power anywhere.Turns out to be in the bulkhead.I also am running the complete msd system.I ordered a new bulk head and new connecters to the three wiring harness...Going to finish later this week....Hope this helps...

Don't overlook that damned ammeter (if you have one). Check the posts on the backside. They have an external and an internal insulator. If the posts move by touching them, Pull the wires and bypass it.

Bulkhead. Remove all banks and spray profusely with electrical cleaner. Gently.

Thanks guys for the recommendations. I plan on checking the bulkhead connections this week. Any tips on disconnecting the plug? I dont want to mess anything up and that plastic looks pretty fragile...

Is there a diagram anywhere so i can verify the ignition connections in the plug are clean? (theres quite a few wires in that sucker) I downloaded the service manual but its on my other computer and i don't have immediate access. I'm guessing its in there?

Ill update after i get it apart and inspected.

thank you

After you plug the engine compartment plug in check under dash to see if any wires were pushed inside.
Had headlight problems, looked under dash and the wire for headlights was pushed out. Happened when I reinstalled wiring harness. Just took a pair of needle nosed pliers and plugged it back in.

image.jpeg
Bulkhead. This is what I use. Just keep spraying until it runs clean. Mine was filthy, probably never off before. Gently squeeze the tabs and have a small straight screw driver handy to coax. Just don't break anything. Use a fender cover and take your time.

How bout the use of dielectric grease when everything is clean and plugged back together?

Agreed. I put it back together without doing that and fear breaking something if removed again.
Don't want to mess with success - for now. Any future will include dialectic to finish. Car has not had a hiccup since cleaning the connectors at the bulkhead.

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back