• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

question on my 73 RR without Tach in gauge cluster

67coroneter

Local time
9:10 AM
Reaction score
On my 1973 Roadrunner, on my gauge cluster I just have the clock instead of the Tach, can I replace the clock with a Tach gauge, where and how would that change the wiring then, also if possible where can I get a Tach for my cluster at

yes.

repro tachs made to fit are available but pricey (+-400)

Just disconnect the clock wires and install the tach wires.

Since you have the clock, it is interchangeable. You will have to find a used one or one from a place like classic industries which is pretty expensive ($200). The only noticeable difference is that it goes to 80 and not 70 like the original.

Here is a link:

https://www.classicindustries.com/product/mb323.html

I used the one from Classic and it turned out pretty nice, I just think you need the wires that go to the back of the coil and thats it.

Here is mine:
FB_IMG_1512106836201.jpg

Wow, they came down.

Thanks.

I want to do the same thing but I have a question. What is that elongated piece above the column between the speedo and clock that is on the underside of the dash? My butchered car ain't got one. Any help, (including financial assistance) is greatly appreciated!:D

I want to do the same thing but I have a question. What is that elongated piece above the column between the speedo and clock that is on the underside of the dash? My butchered car ain't got one. Any help, (including financial assistance) is greatly appreciated!:D
No financial assistance, but that is a light up indicator for when you get in the car and says FASTEN SEAT BELTS.

Thanks Bru, I think I can live without that. If it lit up at a predetermined set point and it said "you have just broken the sound barrier", or "get ready to change your underwear", I would like that!

Thanks Idrive, I might go for that. I have the clock and a tach mounted on top of the dashboard. It bolts through one side of where the missing piece was. Is there a different one without the fader?

I believe there are in existence those without the fader, most likely from a car with just am radio or radio delete. Most common is the ones with just the fader and seatbelt indicator, although I believe prior to 73 they didn't have the seatbelt light. Map light was available in RR and Charger with light package I believe. They are all getting harder to find. However, check out 521 restorations, they have ones with just map light, or just a blank insert available. Its listed on their interior page, http://www.521restorations.com/index.pl?page=bbody&sub1=Interior

I thank you again Idrive. You helped me a lot with several questions about what I am missing on my "stripped for the strip" Satty RR clone in the past. I really appreciate it. It's also good that I can get answers and do a little research in the middle of the night while I am at my shift work job. :D

Auto Transport Service
Back