• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rear axle seal issue?

69roadr

Local time
8:21 PM
Reaction score
I pulled out my RH (passenger side) rear axle a while ago to check the bearing on my 69 Roadrunner. After putting maybe 10 miles on it, I noticed a burning oil smell coming from the car! Put in the garage and crawled under to have a look see and saw the inside of the rear tire was shiny wet looking. Pulled the tire and brake drum, and to my grief i saw what looked (and smelled) like differential oil all over everything in the brake department. Did I happen to damage the seal when I pulled the axle out previously? It never fails when I tinker with something, it always results in trouble:(
Hope somebody can tell me what went wrong here:)

The inner seal may have gotten nicked, and that could be your problem. Also, did you damaged the foam seal on the backing plate?

The inner seal may have gotten nicked, and that could be your problem. Also, did you damaged the foam seal on the backing plate?

I resealed the backing plate, but does oil go all the way to the end the backing plate? I was extremely careful at pulling the axle out, but in a 40+ year old car everything seems to be quite fragile. Is the seal easy to replace? Also, now it seems I should replace the differential oil, as it is probably low or empty. What is the procedure for that?

The seal is easy to replace, hell, ya pulled the once so your halfway there at that point. You'll want to re-pack the axle bearing with quality grease, and then check the axle end play when you bolt it back together.

Diff fluid is easy to refill, the square nut on the pass. side of the center section, take it out, and fill untill your finger can feel the fluid.

The seal is easy to replace, hell, ya pulled the once so your halfway there at that point. You'll want to re-pack the axle bearing with quality grease, and then check the axle end play when you bolt it back together.

Diff fluid is easy to refill, the square nut on the pass. side of the center section, take it out, and fill untill your finger can feel the fluid.
hey, thanks 5.7 hemi! I really appreciate the help on this:) did lots of repairs to the motor myself in the past, but never the diff.
I did see that big square nut on the center section.

if you have a problem pulling the old seal,just use the tip of the axle slid just slightly into the seal.then push the axle sideways and the seal will pop right out.just be carefull not to damage anything when you do it.old racer trick.

is this seal something I can get at a local auto parts store? And what diff oil would you recommend:)

90 wt gear oil and lim slip add if you have one.seal will be available all over.take the old one with you to match if you can.most auto parts store employees are not very knowledegable when it comes to old cars now a days.

Yeah, i got my seals from NAPA, like $15 each if i recall. Hvent gotten around to install yet, but they are readily available.

well, i finally got the inner seal out, and let me say, it was hell! The leaking problem must have started due to a lot of up and down play in the axle bearing and the housing. So I have a new Timken set 7 with 2 new seals on the way. I made my own gasket for the axle flange. Once I get the parts, I will take to a friends shop that does trannys and drive axles. IMG_2642.jpgIMG_2639.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back