• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rocker panel repair or replace? 72 RR

mopardog

Local time
1:01 PM
Reaction score
So, here's where I am on my 72RR restore. I am slowly getting body work done. I have worked my way to the issue concerning the passenger rocker panel. There is a pretty good dent right smack in the middle of rocker. I do have a stud welder and can pull the debt out and then smooth it out with some lightweight putty, dent isn't creased which is good. Or, I could cut out old and replace with a new rocker which I have. I have had to replace the core support so car is not 100% original sheetmetal. I will post a pic of the original. Has anyone ever replaced the full rocker? If so can you post your work? I am trying to decide which way I want to tackle it. Any help from my Mopar family would be greatly appreciated.

M'dog

I'll have to do a little rocker work on my 71 Satellite and a posting of someone else that's already been there would be nice ,but my advice is only replace what you have to especially if it has a dent that's fixable ,I wouldn't cut it out. It's really thin metal you could use your welder to attach your pin and then heat and cool it a little at a time and then pull the dent out ,heating and cooling can do the trick but don't go real hot all at once just a little at a time,good luck post how you decide to fix it.

Pull the dent and save your money unless you suspect underlying issues. Chances are the replacement won't fit as well and will take a lot more work. I pulled a nasty dent out of my rocker that was on the corner with great results with no heat or stud gun, now that I've used a stud gun I can say it would have easy had I had one then.

I'd just use a hand held propane torch you don't need a great deal of heat just enough to get the metal to expand just a little ,if you can fix it without the heat then do so,how bout a couple of pics?

747Mopar, you mentioned you didn't use stud welder or heat....what's your secret?
Kinda the same but not as fun lol, I welded metal to the rocker then put vice grips on it a proceeded to beat the slot out of them... poor man's stud gun.

Auto Transport Service
Back