• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rosette Rivet Rip-off Rant

How about the South Harmon Institute of Technology???

Attachments

• south harmon.jpg
    south harmon.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 2,592
Not a good choice to use any ole rivet , vin tampering can taint and put a stigma on the car that will follow it everywhere it goes . Put it back correctly .

X2

Now, back to the original problem--where can we get these rivets for a reasonable price???????

Any FBBO members work at dealers, body shops, distributors, somewhere these rivets are readily available--those trying to sell them for $45 a pair are not having any trouble getting them!

Lets find the source, maybe do a group buy and end the rip-off once and for all !

Bump
:pottytrain3:
X2

Now, back to the original problem--where can we get these rivets for a reasonable price???????

Any FBBO members work at dealers, body shops, distributors, somewhere these rivets are readily available--those trying to sell them for $45 a pair are not having any trouble getting them!

Lets find the source, maybe do a group buy and end the rip-off once and for all !

X2

Ain't that big of a deal,if someone (as in original poster) "really" needs them, I'll give you a pair!!

62 Max,
Thanks for the generous offer. This whole "rant" got started because I was planning ahead, trying to source things I would need later on in the process for my car. I don't desparately need them right now, but I will need some later when the dash come out (right now the engine compartment and front suspension is being done) Just looking to buy them for a reasonable price, and $45 /pair does not seem even close to reasonable to me.

I am with Moparman73...I am going to need a set of these in the hopefully not too distant future when I swap in the new dash. $45 a pair is ABSURD.

Yes, all we have to do is find out where the ripoff artists are getting them from and cut out the middleman. They can't be very hard to get if you know the manufacturer. Anyone have any info??? Brand, Part #, anything???

reviving an old thread...

yeah that would be a great bit of info as I am wanting to replace the dash pad in my Dakota....and would like to keep the right tag with the truck. and $45 a pair, is crazy for 2 measly rivets..

I'd always thought (from magazine articles) that those rosette rivets were hard to get. What about this article on vin rivets?

Attachments

• vin_rivets.jpg
    vin_rivets.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 1,246
Evidently there is a loophole somewhere as they are always for sale and I have seen more than one vendor openly display them at both Carlisle and Columbus.I would also like to see one documented case where an individual using them in a restoration was ever prosacuted

If they were illegal to sell or possess, they wouldn't be offered for sale so openly by restoration suppliers. The issue, in my opinion, is not legality, but where to get them to cut out the middleman who is obviously marking them up several hundred percent. I understand suppliers have to make money, but selling a 10 cent rivet for $45 is over the top!

And before someone else posts the myth, no they are not a "controlled item" or illegal to possess.

They are in Michigan; the relevant subsection (5) of the statute says A person shall not knowingly possess, buy, deliver, or offer to buy, sell, exchange, or give away any manufacturer's vehicle identification number plate, federal safety certification label, antitheft label, posident die stamps, secretary of state vehicle identification label, rosette rivet, or any facsimile thereof. This subsection does not apply to a motor vehicle manufacturer, a motor vehicle parts supplier under contract with a motor vehicle manufacturer, or a law enforcement officer in the official performance of his or her duties or to a motor vehicle in which a manufacturer's vehicle identification plate and each of the applicable labels listed in this subsection have been installed as prescribed by law. A person who violates this subsection is guilty of a felony, punishable by imprisonment for not more than 4 years, a fine of not more than $10,000.00, or both. If the person who violates this subsection is a licensed dealer or repair facility, its license shall be revoked.

They also are in Illinois, where the relevant subsection (5) contains language almost identical to the Michigan code.

Looks as if they're treated similarly in at least some other states, which isn't surprising. There's close cooperation among the motor vehicle administration authorities and legislatures of most states, which are well on their way to having harmonized vehicle anti-theft provisions in their state codes. And even if it were only IL and MI that consider it felonious to buy, sell, have, or give rosette rivets, that alone would make vendors in other states cautious and protective enough to drive the price up.

Evidently there is a loophole somewhere as they are always for sale and I have seen more than one vendor openly display them at both Carlisle and Columbus.I would also like to see one documented case where an individual using them in a restoration was ever prosacuted

You should check out some of the Chevelle forums, there are much more in depth discussions about these rivets. Some people have had their cars devalued after it was discovered that they had removed and re-attached VIN plates for sandblasting. After proving that they owned the cars (some took three months) and the tags matched the hidden stampings, the motor vehicle department issued them a new, replacement tag, the same as if the car was a theft recovery. No more original tag now.

Several law enforcement people joined the posts, saying that it is common for traffic control officers to receive training in spotting anything not-quite-right with id tags. In some jurisdictions they patrol car shows, checking for legitimacy.

As for the high price of these rivets on eBay, not any longer. They're not allowed to be sold there.

-=Photon440-=

Here's what they look like unused, sorry to say I don't remember where I got these from
image.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back