• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Salt flats fantasy

Chris Gal

Local time
10:23 AM
Reaction score
I'm looking for input and suggestions for putting together a good combination to run the salt flats. Starting with a 440/727 and gear vendors OD set up. What would you recommend?
I'm starting from scratch and building a Superbird clone that I would like to see how fast I could go. I see a lot of post for the 1/4 milers. What about the 5 milers?
It's been a dream to drive one and hit 200MPH. I just need to put together the right combination and am looking for help. Right now I'm in the planning stage and gathering parts.
What do you think?

Chris,
What is your budget? You should build a endurance motor-like a NASCAR engine. Depending on power level you may need a aftermarket block and certainly the best flowing heads you can afford-keeping the valve train a little more sane for longevity. Just some thoughts.
Mike

Gear it for the speed you want as you can push start so gear it high
for 200 mph you have a lot of rules to meet
read before you build

My car at Bonneville with original owner.
Bvill.PNG

Chris,
What is your budget? You should build a endurance motor-like a NASCAR engine. Depending on power level you may need a aftermarket block and certainly the best flowing heads you can afford-keeping the valve train a little more sane for longevity. Just some thoughts.
Mike
I can't say my budget is unlimited, it's just I'm single and work a lot of overtime so it is how much money and time I want to put into it. Obviously it's a lengthy project, but I hope to get it done in a year or so. Right now I'm asking questions so I know what I need to build and what I need to find and save up for and where to find the right parts.
I was hoping to use a stock block and aftermarket heads, but you may be on to something with an aftermarket block. Thanks!

Gear it for the speed you want as you can push start so gear it high
for 200 mph you have a lot of rules to meet
read before you build
I have been reading all I can find and I just ordered the rule book. I'm sure that will have a lot of information. I just hope it won't be too discouraging.
it is interesting though because I have read a few posts where some folks say it's not that tough to hit the 200 MPH mark, but then I read other that can't get there. So like the title of my post says, it may be just a fantasy, but I'm going to keep trying to get there until something stops me.
Thanks!

If you gear to high power becomes a issue. I have talked to Viper racers that claim 5th is faster than 6th they just run out of power.
The 200 mph club is intreging.
May be wrong but believe your in for a 2 year or more obligation.

The original owner moved from CT to CA. and stopped at the sign for a photo. I've never been to Bonneville. Guys wife was driving out there and a Caddy was passing her and slowing down. After that happened the third time she passed him and took it to about 140 did see the Caddy again.

Last edited:
If you gear to high power becomes a issue. I have talked to Viper racers that claim 5th is faster than 6th they just run out of power.
The 200 mph club is intreging.
May be wrong but believe your in for a 2 year or more obligation.
Yeah, I'm afraid you're right. But hey, a guy's got to dream and this dream has cost me over $20K so far and the car's not even running yet!

We have the 72 RR in resto mode. According to the math with the correct 440, 727 combo and 2:73 gears no over drive 180 will be max with 30" tall tires.
According to everything found over the years it takes about 100 hp per 1000 rpm figuring in at around 7000 rpm top.
Remember to reinforce the wing to race spec. or you will loose it at top end.
A phone call to Petty Garage could save you alot of time and agrivation.

We have the 72 RR in resto mode. According to the math with the correct 440, 727 combo and 2:73 gears no over drive 180 will be max with 30" tall tires.
According to everything found over the years it takes about 100 hp per 1000 rpm figuring in at around 7000 rpm top.
Remember to reinforce the wing to race spec. or you will loose it at top end.
A phone call to Petty Garage could save you alot of time and agrivation.
Huh? That's good information. I was planning on looking into Gear Vendors OD for the car. I would LOVE to call Petty's garage. How cool would that be!?!?!

Be surprised how fast you can go with a 2:76 with a taller tire and a manual trans. Do the math.

Auto Transport Service
Back