• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Salt flats fantasy

Go for it! I'm into B'ville and El Mirage (So Cal Dry lakes) racing. Get yourself a rule book from http://www.scta-bni.org/home.html to get started and read up carefully on all of the car & engine categories.

1001.jpg IMG_4487.JPG

Last edited:
Go for it! I'm into B'ville and El Mirage (So Cal Dry lakes) racing. Get yourself a rule book from http://www.scta-bni.org/home.html to get started and read up carefully on all of the car & engine categories.

View attachment 519373 View attachment 519374
Thanks Mopar Man. I did order the rule book and have been reading all I can find. I am open to any and all advice.
Is that your Daytona?!?! You can't just post a photo like that and not talk about it!! I'm all ears!(or should I says eyes?) I would like to hear all about it.

Sorry not my Daytona but one of my favorites to look at! It's a record holding car on the salt too!
It definitely looks baddass! What speed does it hit? I just need to meet and talk to anyone that knows anything about setting up a car for the flats.

Before you spend a lot of money and make all kinds of mods if its something you really want to do figure out what the minimum is that needs to be done and go. If like most things were speed is involved the rules are only going to let you go so fast anyway the first year.

The first Dayton and the more radical twin turbo Daytona both belong to Leo Sicilio of Texas. This is built to break 300+ mph! Big $$$ to build it though.

BangShift_com Lee Sicilio's 1969 Dodge Daytona Bonneville ___.jpg

Power wise I don't think you'll need to make more than a real 550hp as long as the aerodynamics and suspension are done well (note the stance and changes to the cars pictured). But it will need to really make that number, and do it in heat with all the stuff it would have in the car. And it needs to hold that rpm for a while, several times. If you have a 2nd gen Hemi that will be pricey to get to that level. A really good 440 will make that power, but you'll have oiling issues without some help. If it was me, I'd go for a boosted Gen3 hemi. It will make more than that all day long, weigh a lot less, and probably get done for less money. Concentrate your focus on lightening everywhere, and controlling airflow over and around the car. Slick and light take a lot less power to push.

The weight is less issue than the aerodynamics
Traction is a big issue so you need the air flow to suck and push the car down

For power, consider this: It looks like a brick but the new Hellcat Charger will travel at 204 mph. with its 707 hp. engine. Wind tunnel tests show it is nearly identical to the 1969 Daytona for both front and rear down-force, and drag.

thanks for all the replies and information! I'm going to keep working on it.

Don't hate on me but I've lived here for 10 years and have never been to the Bonneville Salt Flats or Speed Week. I really need to go next year. If you get your car finished let me know so I can check it out.

I think your plan is awesome.I ran the airstrip attack here at the Colorado Springs Airport in my charger back in June. I was able to get to 150MPH in 1/2 mile. I run a F1 Procharger on my Hemi and put a little over 800 to the ground and I was pushing the engine to its limits to do the 150 in half mile.It was a little sketchy when I got to 150 but a lot fun. I am planning on trying to do 160 next year with some changes.This was my first time doing high speeds but I felt the car did well and could do a little more with a air dam and different gears. I know its not quite what your doing but if you want to see any of the set up I have I would be more than willing to share.
Thanks,Joe

I think your plan is awesome.I ran the airstrip attack here at the Colorado Springs Airport in my charger back in June. I was able to get to 150MPH in 1/2 mile. I run a F1 Procharger on my Hemi and put a little over 800 to the ground and I was pushing the engine to its limits to do the 150 in half mile.It was a little sketchy when I got to 150 but a lot fun. I am planning on trying to do 160 next year with some changes.This was my first time doing high speeds but I felt the car did well and could do a little more with a air dam and different gears. I know its not quite what your doing but if you want to see any of the set up I have I would be more than willing to share.
Thanks,Joe

Thanks Joe,
Sounds like you've got some experience. 800 horsepower to the ground is quite a bit. Looks like I've got my challenges ahead of me. I'm planning on the aerodynamics of the superbird body nose and wing to help significantly. I would appreciate any information regarding your accomplishments.
I just received the rules book for the SCTA-BNI today. Just glancing through it, I see there is more to it than I first imagined. But I'm still looking into it.
Thanks again for your help,
Chris

I'm looking for input and suggestions for putting together a good combination to run the salt flats. Starting with a 440/727 and gear vendors OD set up. What would you recommend?
I'm starting from scratch and building a Superbird clone that I would like to see how fast I could go. I see a lot of post for the 1/4 milers. What about the 5 milers?
It's been a dream to drive one and hit 200MPH. I just need to put together the right combination and am looking for help. Right now I'm in the planning stage and gathering parts.
What do you think?

I would try 1/2 mile racing first IMHO. That is what I will be doing in the near future, but if your heart is set on it---

If you're serious, five miles at WOT, I would start out with a low-deck. An RB will be living on borrowed time, anywhere near the power required to run that number. You're going to need at the very least, 600-650 rwhp. 400-451ci would be my guess to the best overall combination, max wedge heads, ported. Indy single plane. 700ish solid roller. Dominator carb; still probably wouldn't be enough. You're going to need to peak around 7,500 RPM (somewhere close) in that range to run the MPH you're looking for with a 727. It will be very difficult N/A. We just lose so much through the drivetrain with these older cars (fwhp - rwhp), even a 5-10% difference at 700 HP is 50-70rwhp we're giving up over a modern driveline.

Last edited:
For power, consider this: It looks like a brick but the new Hellcat Charger will travel at 204 mph. with its 707 hp. engine. Wind tunnel tests show it is nearly identical to the 1969 Daytona for both front and rear down-force, and drag.

On average, Hellcats put well over 620-660 hp to the ground. Stroked GEN III 6.1 Hemi with a procharger or 400-451ci 400 low-deck w/ max-wedge heads and a centrifugal (Paxton sells a kit, i'm sure the head unit would need to be upgraded). Dry sump oiling system. Spray bar oiling in valve covers. All the tricks. Or just go all out, You could probably get away with 600 rwhp and be close, but that will still take around 750 HP. The problem isn't even really making 600 rwhp, but making the power close to 7500 rpm to get the MPH you're looking for.

Last edited:
If I get to build another speed demon. Will be a stock stroke BB 383. Big reason is its a lighter weight rotating assemble with power curve in the higher rpms. It doesn't take the bottom end tourqe of a long stroke engine to run speed for a long distance.
The Europeans have shown us that time and time again.

Well, I've been reading thought the rules book and like I expected, (and you all know) there is a LOT more to obtaining those speeds on the salt than meets the eye.
I'll be doing a lot more research as to what I need and how I'm going to do it. I'm trying to decipher the rule book so I can do it right the first time.
My original thought was to build a street legal 200+ Superbird. I still am working towards that goal, so now I need to talk to the right people about the required roll cage and building one that fit nicely in the car so that it can remain "streetable" if that is even possible.
If anyone has suggestions and or photos, please let me know what you've used, know or seen.

Don't hate on me but I've lived here for 10 years and have never been to the Bonneville Salt Flats or Speed Week. I really need to go next year. If you get your car finished let me know so I can check it out.
No hating here, but I'd be going every year if I lived close enough

Take what you have and run it to what ever max speed they will licence you for then look around the pits
and see what needs to be done
There is a lot of really cool and crazy stuff there

Take what you have and run it to what ever max speed they will licence you for then look around the pits
and see what needs to be done
There is a lot of really cool and crazy stuff there
No kidding! I just watched a video of a crazy Daytona doing about 280!
He has a ton of money in that car and it's amazing!

Auto Transport Service
Back