• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Should I buy it...???

MoparR/T

Local time
12:44 AM
Reaction score
OK boys and girls, I have the opportunity to buy this car locally for $29K. I've posted one or two of these pics before (on my "Dumb Buyer Questions" thread) but I am reposting here as a new thread. Owner states #'s matching drivetrain. One repaint. Complete restoration in 1996. Here are snippets of his description... "The car has original 1967 front power disc brakes that have been rebuilt as has the rear brakes. New rear springs, u bolts and shackles with bushings. New u joints installed on drive shaft .Has correct exhaust manifolds and correct h pipe exhaust .The ignition has been up graded to electronic. The intake is a edelbrock set up with edelbrock carb. (The original intake and carb go with the car.) This R/T rides on 15 inch new redline radials with new magnum 500s that are in perfect condition. Interior is in very good condition and everything works as it should. Carpet is starting to show age with some fading and wear. The seats are in good condition, except the rear seat does have two small splits on the seam on the passenger side. Door panels are in good condition. Arm rest bases and rest are showing there age . The sill plates also show their age. The rear bumper is showing some flecks of rust but shows very good."

Is there any reason I shouldn't buy this car?

s-l1600-14.jpg s-l1600-8.jpg s-l1600-4.jpg s-l1600-7.jpg s-l1600-1.jpg s-l1600-3.jpg s-l1600-17.jpg s-l1600-18.jpg s-l1600-21.jpg s-l1600-25.jpg

Last edited:
Have you seen it and driven it? And why the deadline TODAY? I'm always suspicious when a deal is only good "right now".

Sounds like it could take up to 5K more to make it perfect, if that's acceptable go for it.

29 is a little high for a car showing its age. top of the line then yes but not if starting to rust and need re-upholstering etc

Check the #,s and if they match up buy it. Don't take the owners word for it, do your due diligence. The items you listed as needing attention are minor and should cost less than 1k to address. #,s matching GTX and RT,s are probably the only 67,s that will hold or increase their value. That is why i stress checking the #,s before making the deal. If its a clone or not #,s matching than the price of 29K is more subjective. It would cost a lot more than 29 to restore one but 67 non RT prices are all over the place. Parts are hard to come by and not many re-pops out there. The good part about that is you know most of the parts on it now are either original or NOS.

NJRR: I have been given a ride, but not driven it yet. Obviously, that will be next. Deal isn't just good for today (my post is misleading and I have edited it) it's just that the car came off it's 3rd. week of eBay listings without hitting reserve and I wanted to decide what I am doing before someone else gets in there.

69GTX: Please give me a breakdown on the $5K additional, so I know what it would be spent on. Of course, next question is if the car is worth $34K afterwards.

Radical Rob: No rust, very solid body. Mention of rush was a few surface speckles on rear bumper.

Aeon280: All the #'s match up. He has original certicard, build sheets etc... It's not a clone. I'm interested in what 69GTX replies back to me with to compare his $5K estimate with your $1K. I'm not buying this as a "shine it up and flip", but I am concerned about making a good investment.

Thanks everyone!
Bill

I am concerned about making a good investment.
I do not consider any car an investment. Yes, I know there is money to be made, but for the sake of discussion most any automobile is not a investment.

Anyhow, after my multi year, multi state B Body search I can up with a rule of thumb that any B Body under 30K is far from perfect. I'd say if this car meets budgets for purchase and future ownership then buy it!

NJRR: I have been given a ride, but not driven it yet. Obviously, that will be next. Deal isn't just good for today (my post is misleading and I have edited it) it's just that the car came off it's 3rd. week of eBay listings without hitting reserve and I wanted to decide what I am doing before someone else gets in there.

69GTX: Please give me a breakdown on the $5K additional, so I know what it would be spent on. Of course, next question is if the car is worth $34K afterwards.

Radical Rob: No rust, very solid body. Mention of rush was a few surface speckles on rear bumper.

Aeon280: All the #'s match up. He has original certicard, build sheets etc... It's not a clone. I'm interested in what 69GTX replies back to me with to compare his $5K estimate with your $1K. I'm not buying this as a "shine it up and flip", but I am concerned about making a good investment.

Thanks everyone!
Bill

Our difference in estimates may be off based on my propensity to do everything myself. My break down would be as follows.

Arm rest, 200 for new ones. Bases can be repainted and reused unless cracked or broken. another 60 if you need new ones.
Carpet 300 another 100-200 for install.
Rear seat repair. shouldn't cost more than 200 to have it pulled and restitched.
Seal plates. NOS price ?. re-pop 100 for the pair.
Re-chrome bumper. 300-500. a-lot of times the surface speckles can even be buffed out.

So 1500 if you do most the work yourself. If you take it to a resto shop and drop it off it could add up. Having someone else pull the seats for the carpet job, stitching, and pulling the bumper to send to chrome shop then put it all back together could easily add up at 100-200/hr of labor.

Mike67: Wow! This guide is invaluable.

Villccm: "...making a good investment" in my situation translates to "not getting ripped off!" - LOL

Matching #'s drivetrain ? Chrysler didn't start stamping vin numbers on blocks or transmissions until 1969. They should be date coded however. Easy enough to check with the right resources.

The price seems a bit high on an older restoration that shows some wear.

Noob question here. I thought 67s were not number matching unless stated by owner. I thought 68 was the first number matching where engine, trans and rear end had to have correct numbers.

Thanks!

What was his reserve?

Think of it this way...that car sat on the nations largest auction website and didn't garner enough interest to meet the reserve. That tells you where the market is.

That being said, if 1967 is your year then go for it. Price doesn't really matter if you get your dream car.

Me, I think it's over by 6-7K.

Cheers!

What was his reserve? Think of it this way...that car sat on the nations largest auction website and didn't garner enough interest to meet the reserve. That tells you where the market is. That being said, if 1967 is your year then go for it. Price doesn't really matter if you get your dream car. Me, I think it's over by 6-7K. Cheers!

Thanks, SoCal440GTX. His reserve ran $37K, $32K & $30K consecutively. (The only reason why I know is because the car is local to me.) His ending prices were $23,100, $28,600 & $27,100. If you average those last 3 auctions and subtract the eBay fees, it comes out to $25,517 on average. So, I agree with you on the $29K being high.

I really just wanted to hear what you guys had to say about it. Honestly, for that amount of money (even though I love '67 R/T's) I expect a really, really nice car. I mean not only mechanically sound, but visually impressive. Don't get me wrong, this is a nice car, but there's no "pop" to it.

Essentially, all of you have confirmed to me what I have been reluctant to acknowledge to myself. It's overpriced.

Thanks again,
Bill

I just posted my thoughts in your other thread about this car and completely agree with Mike67. That is the car to buy at the moment.

If you are looking for a 67 RT there is one here for sale that is pretty nice and not to far off from what this one was listed for. I've never seen the car but thought I would share it with you
http://www.forbbodiesonly.com/moparforum/threads/67-coronet-rt.138531/#post-910783989

Mike67: I've traded messages with Dan on the white top car. It looks like a real nice car, but drivetrain isn't original.

69L48Z27: Thanks again, I just replied to you on the other thread.

My gut tells me that anything much over $26K for the blue car is too much. I'll keep looking.

Bill

i would say no
the first ending price is where my gut is 23k
as the resto on it is 20 yo
2k of detailing would get it close to the ask

Auto Transport Service
Back