• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Solid Lifter..... Torque Conveter....... hmmmm

Canadian1968

Local time
2:39 PM
Reaction score
The on going quest of what to do next, even if you don't have to !!!!

I'm waiting for the weather to cool down a bit here in Southern Ontario, so that I can go to the track again and test out my re curved distributor and a few more runs on my slicks.

But as the hobby goes, always looking forward to what else I can do , or WANT to do .

I have a no name converter currently behind the 440 supposed to be 2500 stall but looks like more around 2200 - 2300. I have been looking into a purpose built converter to flash around 3000. This will work with my setup. ( Comp Cams 274xe )

Other ideas are looking at a new cam, and switching to a solid lifter cam. Can I run solid lifters with at stock 440 rocker arm setup ? OR what do I need to do for a solid lifter switch .

browsing the search, I found that a lot of the experienced people are on here like a SFT setup even on a mild build.

Solid lifters require adjustable rocker arms, period.
The advantage there is that the new rocker arms will probably have less friction and an accurate ratio. It has been purported that even with new units, the factory 1.5 arms varied a bit and could be as low as 1.4, 1.38 in ratio.
I switched to 1.6 rocker arms in my car years ago when I still had a hydraulic cam. I took cranking compression readings before and after. The numbers were closer together with the aftermarket arms which to me, indicated that the increased accuracy of the rocker arm ratio brought up the numbers in the lower cylinders.

Is there an ET target you’re trying achieve?

I usually prefer to formulate a plan based on a performance goal.

With a solid cam add push rods to your list w adjustable rockers.
It all adds up.
Mancini has a decent package w push rods. Imo, for what the mancini set costs... spending less is a rolling the dice.

Is there an ET target you’re trying achieve?

I usually prefer to formulate a plan based on a performance goal.

Well my previous goal was 13 flat. I have already achieved that and think as the car sit, probably able to get 12.9 maybe even 12.8.

Looking forward, 12.5 seems like a decent goal.

Your converter stall will be dependenton the camshaft...and other things. So do the camshaft first. IMO

Joel

With the failure rate of new cams and lifters now days, you might consider going to 1.6 rockers on your present cam, see if you are happy enough with the gains.
I just sent back a SFT Howards/Hughes and EDM lifters.
The core was cast really sloppy compared to the cam I bought from them 6 years ago.
If the casting was sloppy it makes you wonder if the metallurgy was off as well.
I know several people having cams go flat recently after break in, that's a group no one cares to join.

By going to a 1.6 ratio rocker. what exactly does thar do ? Does it just effect the over all lift of the cam. Or I guess how much the valve opens?

So did a ltitle reading and understand rocker ratios now.

But could I literally just swap out for a set of stamped 1.6 rockers ?

When I did mine, I did a clearance check to make sure that the valves don't hit the pistons. Mine cleared just fine.

Auto Transport Service
Back