• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Source for distributor bushings for rebuild

Type I used...third one from the top...

Anjustable_Expanding.jpg

Mine looks kind of like the 5th down flutes to a tapered tip non adjustable. Was surprised what the hell they cost now. I remember king pin ones for around 50 a set. Those days are long gone.

Burnishing tool would mostly be good, only for bushing already sized correctly, ID/OD, so once in place, ID is sized by 'seating' the bushing. Yeah, OEM bushing like that...and the price!

Miller - think you are right. The burnishing tool Mancini has is for the intermediate shaft bushing I finally realized. Not sure it is intended for distributor bushings.

Looks like mine has 1" bushings in it. But I noticed something unexpected. It looks like 2 bushings were driven in the upper housing, end to end. Anyone seen that before. Any point of trying to pull the second one? I planned to run a 1/2 inch tap in them and use a bolt, washer and socket to pull them out.

On non-factory bushings they don't have 1/8" wide cutout for the oiler on the side of distributor. Probably easier to pull the oiler and drill a hole. Was thinking of using a bolt cut to just fits the bushing and use that to draw bushing in?

Well crap - thought the shaft looked a bit short when I took it out of the box yesterday but distributor was bought by a friend for his Hemi from our local speed shop who said it was a RB distributor - so kind of put it in the back of my mind. He decided not to use it in his Hemi since his MSD was working OK now so I told him I would take it off his hands for what he had in it. But sure enough it's a 383 dual point distributor. So - anyone got a spare dual point RB shaft for sale? I have a single point shaft but pretty sure it won't interchange.

He had bought some parts for it and I ordered a few more bits for it - so kind of stuck. May restore it as is and put it up for sale and take a loss on it. Or if I can find a proper RB shaft for it, just bite a bullet and put some more money into it.

Should have gone with my first impression and measured the shaft.

1" length, .499 ID .624 od
Here are three types of nos bushings. I assume they are a hair undersize so they fit tight when burnished in the housing.
DSC05900.JPG
DSC05901.JPG
DSC05902.JPG

The burnishing tool type I use.
US_Burnishing_Tool.jpg

Last edited:
Well crap - thought the shaft looked a bit short when I took it out of the box yesterday but distributor was bought by a friend for his Hemi from our local speed shop who said it was a RB distributor - so kind of put it in the back of my mind. He decided not to use it in his Hemi since his MSD was working OK now so I told him I would take it off his hands for what he had in it. But sure enough it's a 383 dual point distributor. So - anyone got a spare dual point RB shaft for sale? I have a single point shaft but pretty sure it won't interchange.

He had bought some parts for it and I ordered a few more bits for it - so kind of stuck. May restore it as is and put it up for sale and take a loss on it. Or if I can find a proper RB shaft for it, just bite a bullet and put some more money into it.

Should have gone with my first impression and measured the shaft.
Good luck I have to buy a core to get them. Do a part number search you possibly will get lucky. Should have a IAZ or something under the weight plate on the bottom.

Thanks - kicking myself for setting my 6th sense aside and not checking the shaft per my initial thoughts. Our old speed shop guys are pretty good and straight shooters and I just accepted they knew what it was. But like a lot of them - mostly Chev and some Ford knowledge. Haven't paid for this thing yet but we have enough invested in new cap/rotor/vacuum adv (Hemi guy bought) and new cap clamps/tune up kit/bushings (I ordered) that taking it back is now a complicated problem. Guess I'll go on a scavenger hunt first.

I have done it also at Carlisle. Was a 440-6 tag. Some one was in it before for sure. Paid 200 or so for it also!

Where did you find the cap clips? Cant seem to find any anymore nos.

Would this work for 67GTX? In 59 didn't they have RB383's? Maybe a question to seller. not mine.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Distributo...154660?hash=item3fb98fe424:g:3UYAAOSwTxJcWz7I

That actually looks very much like my housing and the shaft looks like a RB shaft length. Here are some pictures of this one.

Here is a picture next to an aluminum body RB distributor. Not sure if the advance plate and cam would work with it or not - might create a Frankenstein.

what do you think Halifaxhops?

Look at where the weights mount its a la if the aluminum one is a rb. The dual point weights are also different from a alum housing also just fyi. Let me see what I can find part number wise for you..

Let me ask about the o-ring groove. I'm guessing these originally sat on a gasket at the block - can't remember from my 64 from 50 years ago. Won't deleting that for an o-ring risk it not seating on the block if the shaft bottoms out in the oil pump shaft?

Auto Transport Service
Back