• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Speedometer numbers - question

What a beautiful Hemi car! Has it ever been driven? Most of us dream of having such a car! ruffcut
60,000+ miles so far......this car will get driven a lot. It's not a trailer Queen.
The new owner recently bought my buddy Cliff's '70 300C car...and that gets driven all over the place. I can see this car getting around to quite a few shows and just cruising around a bit.

It is great to see classics out on the road even if they aren’t performance models.

The later version with 0-15 looks much less cluttered…

IMG_4193.jpeg

View attachment 1532067

I've seen a couple of articles over the years about the speedos in our '68 GTX (and Coronet R/T, too) and the numbers.
Seems it was done in response to complaints from customers about readability...
Of course, since mine is one with the missing zeros, I always take an extra moment to try to read the dang thing when
trying to make out how fast Fred is going - I'd think it would be easier with the full numbers on there, but that's just me.
I’ve had several ‘68 and ‘69 GTXs over the years. I found that the speedo without all the zeros is much easier to read, at speed.

Nope, the GTX has very few options.
I’m in the few options GTX club too. My ‘69 convertible has exactly five “cost” options. Power steering, power brakes, am music-master radio, track pack and full-tinted glass. Not even a remote mirror! Also has stripe delete and four-speed but those aren’t cost options.

I’ve had several ‘68 and ‘69 GTXs over the years. I found that the speedo without all the zeros is much easier to read, at speed.
Well, that's what Fred has, so I reckon I can cope. :)

you car have fender mounted turn signals? .... mine does and the blinker holes in the cluster are covered with black cloth tape; just curious
Mine was too; I uncovered them and got the dash lights working when I had it out of the car back when.

A couple things…. The second fender tag I assume says HEMI ENGINE.

1. I found one in my 68 GTX conv under the carpet. It had a thin wire attached to it as if it was hanging from something.

2. All of the 1968 emissions decals I’ve seen have been on the right inner fender, forward of the washer bottle.

3. It’s missing the 90 degree brass fitting on the top of the ps pump.

Other than that, looks clean!

1696156944092.jpeg

1696157844866.png

IMG_20190929_133746828_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
I’m in the few options GTX club too. My ‘69 convertible has exactly five “cost” options. Power steering, power brakes, am music-master radio, track pack and full-tinted glass. Not even a remote mirror! Also has stripe delete and four-speed but those aren’t cost options.

Same, whoever ordered the GTX didn’t check many boxes. It has a tach, Air Grabber, AM/8 Track, power steering and dual sport mirrors (no joystick on drivers side). I added the hood stripes when the car was “restored “.

Greetings, I am looking at a 1969 Coronet RT with a build date of January 10th. Would the speedo have the numbers with the zero (ie: 150) or without (ie: 15) Which is correct for this build date.

Hmmm interesting thread. I was never one to dig into the numbers aspect of my 68 X. It did have some options. The 150 speedo was there w/tach. Seems a bit strange for me because after I bought mine in late 71 in Mpls a bunch of friends started buying the 68 too. I don’t recall seeing many if any back then w/the one number sequence speedo. I did have some people Q me about that at the occasional shows I brought it to. As we all know those that don't have the car know quite a-bit more than the guys that have owned one forever... Lol

As far as options I’m not sure what was available and never really cared to investigate back then. I had the tach, stripes, vinyl top, fender turn signals, head rests, regretfully none of the power stuff - a bitch to steer out of tight places. Buckets and consoles were standard I believe - mine was not the wood grain counsel which I also thought nice for those that had it. Were redlines an option - I think I had those too but quickly changed to nicer tires/wheels. I think that was about it for options.

Hmmm interesting thread. I was never one to dig into the numbers aspect of my 68 X. Buckets and consoles were standard I believe - mine was not the wood grain counsel which I also thought nice for those that had it.
Buckets were standard but console was optional. ‘68 had chrome console and ‘69 had woodgrain.

Auto Transport Service
Back