• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

streering box interchange

Crider

Local time
7:29 AM
Reaction score
I want to add power steering to my 69. I have a good one here on a 72 New Yorker. Is a C-body box the same as a 69? Any other changes other than steering column? What pitman arm?

Hey Crider, I've done this swap and think I know what you need, but double check all this.
1. The steering box will work
2. There are two possible power steering pumps, Federal and Saginaw. I'm not sure what other parts are different depending on your choice of pump...maybe just hoses? One is way easier to find than the other.
3. I believe the brackets between the two pumps are different.
4. You need a new steering coupler.
5. The manual steering shaft is too long, so you will need either a completely new column OR a power steering shaft & gut/rebuild your current column.
6. Pitman arm is different.
7. Need a 2-groove (at least) crank pulley
8. Need a pulley for the p/s pump & belt (obviously)
9. You need the fitting that goes on top the gear box where the return (?) line goes

It's a pretty involved job, but I did it, so I'm sure you can too.

Thanks! I have the pump and brackets/ pulleys and a steering column with coupler. So other than the pitman arm I think I have everything needed. I just got paint on the underside and engie compartment yesterday, so it's time to start getting the suspension back under it.

IMG_0599.JPG IMG_0603.JPG

Auto Transport Service
Back