• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tach issue

Encswsm

Local time
5:00 PM
Reaction score
I have a 66 Charger. A previous owner swapped out a 1973 360 for the stock big block 318. Does anyone know what I can do to get the factory tach to work with the 360?
thanks

No difference between motors. The tach most likely did not work on the other motor. FYI 318 is a small block just like the 360

Assume electronic ignition of some type. If so start with rt-eng.com real time engineering.

The original tach movement may need cleaning and lube, etc, too.

I have some videos on tach troubleshooting I can send links if interested.

If U have an electronic ignition, the OE tach will not be calibrated. It may read but will not be accurate.
For those issues we recommend U contact redlineguageworks.com
Talk with Shannon, located in SoCal but he is the best in the biz for updating OE guages....

Just my $0.02... :thumbsup:

If U have an electronic ignition, the OE tach will not be calibrated. It may read but will not be accurate.
For those issues we recommend U contact redlineguageworks.com
Talk with Shannon, located in SoCal but he is the best in the biz for updating OE guages....

I put electronic ignition in my Charger in the early 90's.
The tachometer worked fine.

I put electronic ignition in my Charger in the early 90's.
The tachometer worked fine.
Really...
We have been restoring Mopars for >25 years, and whenever an electronic ignition system was added the OE tach went wacko..
Yes sometimes it would read some engine output but was never accurate..

Really...
We have been restoring Mopars for >25 years, and whenever an electronic ignition system was added the OE tach went wacko..
Yes sometimes it would read some engine output but was never accurate..

Negative side of the coil is doing the same thing points or mopar electronic. Any other system like msd or these ready to run its a crap shoot.

Assume electronic ignition of some type. If so start with rt-eng.com real time engineering.

The original tach movement may need cleaning and lube, etc, too.

I have some videos on tach troubleshooting I can send links if interested.
I would love the link for the troubleshooting videos. Thank you

I would love the link for the troubleshooting videos. Thank you
Links below; each video is short and should give you an idea how the Tach works, how to test your tach movement (you can use a D Cell battery), and the upgraded rt-eng.com module install. If you can't solder, or don't wabt to tackle this yourself rt-eng.com has a service to test and install the module for you. I can also help you if needed.

Restoring Tach for 68 Road Runner – Project BeepBeep

Restoring Tach for 68 Road Runner – Project BeepBeep Part II

Restoring Tach for 68 Road Runner – Project BeepBeep Part III

Restoring Tach for 68 Road Runner – Project BeepBeep Part IV

But note that the amplifier for a 66 is slightly different.

Auto Transport Service
Back