• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tail light harness blowing fuses after installing digi tail light.

GPA's 66

Local time
3:21 PM
Reaction score
Good day peoples, finally put my digi tails lights in the 66, but now it’s blowing fuses like crazy.
Question from the turn signal switch to the tail lights there is not a ground, the bulb socket is the ground to complete the circuit.??

The incandescent lights work but extremely dim. Please point me in the right direction to find this short in the system or if anyone else has had this issue how did you fix it.

The bulb socket should be your ground- that’s how my 65 is. If you have a short, I would think the fuse would blow no matter if you had incandescent or ‘digit’ light.
Are the new tail lights just replacement LED bulbs in the original sockets or did you replace the entire tail light housing?
I might put the incandescents back in and see if you blow the fuse.

The new tail lights are LED panels from digi tail. I’m using the sockets to get signal for running, turn signals and brake lights from socket pig tail to operate the lights. All the gounds are soldered and heat shrinked. Playing with it this morning and noticed with lights on turning the turn signals on the corresponding side goes out. Am I thinking wrong to assume the turn signal switch is bad?

The new tail lights are LED panels from digi tail. I’m using the sockets to get signal for running, turn signals and brake lights from socket pig tail to operate the lights. All the gounds are soldered and heat shrinked.

Did the turn switch work properly before you changed the lights? If it did, sounds more like a wiring problem. I’m not familiar with the tail light panels, so not sure how they’re wired.

If you did not have this problem before its most likely something you did. Unplug the rear lighting and see if it blows a fuse. And no its not the turn signal switch.

Did you resolve your issue? What was the problem? I just installed my digi-tail kit in my 66 and so far its ok but less than 5 minutes of run time so far..

Check the plug connections at bottom of the steering column to make sure they are all connected properly

Auto Transport Service
Back