• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Time to hit the Track.

The Cometic gaskets showed up last week. Laid them on the block, checked fit at the cylinders. At approximately the 11 oclock position they come flush with the cylinder, but not hanging over. This is at the flat surface area of the head. At the chamber area the gasket is well back from the cylinders so they went in and everything went back together. A different look now without that big Indy intake and Eddies stacked on top.

IMG_1566.JPG

The port match at the heads / intake was a dead match, didn't need to do any grinding or adding epoxy. On top of the Super Victor sits an AED 1050 Dominator with a 1/2" wood spacer under to keep the heat away. The coil was previously under the dash and now is relocated to near the distributor, which eliminated a 3' coil wire.

IMG_4386.JPG

There was no difference in height from the Indy/Eddie set up. The carb won't be sealed to the hood this weekend. Will do something up nice along with a fibreglass hood for next season. Jets and air bleeds have been changed up to the same as what Wookie is running in his custom built AED 1050, (thanks Wooks). At mid range it seems to be over fuelling, although it starts, idles and its instant when you stab it. Wookie says not to worry, his acts exactly the same. Sure would be nice if I installed his MPH and ET along with his carb specs!

IMG_4384.JPG

Had to drill and screw the rims as well. Last race day I marked the tires at the stem and in 2 passes the marks had moved over to the spoke, about 3". One side had moved a little more than the other.

IMG_4406.JPG

Got things all back together on the Plymouth and time to spare so decided to try and salvage the glass bumper. Have added wood along the entire top lip, studs at each end for corner braces, a centre support and additional glass in other areas that were flimsy. Also glassed in some plywood blocks with studs for bumper brackets. I made the brackets out of 2" X 1/8" flat. 8.5 lbs so far including brackets. The big job starts when I tackle the other side.. If I can make something out of it and it looks acceptable I'll try to use it.

IMG_1555.JPG

I picked this 36" 11,000 CFM fan from Princess Auto for 69 Bucks, taxes included.. They had a sidewalk sale on and gave an additional 75% off of the sale price. Crazy.. Will be perfect for those hot days at the track to cool the MW.

IMG_4390.JPG

Looking for a new personal best this weekend! IMG_1568.JPG

Too late now, but I glue my slicks to the rims. They moved about 1/2" right away and haven't moved since, at 102 passes.
Doug

Too late now, but I glue my slicks to the rims. They moved about 1/2" right away and haven't moved since, at 102 passes.
Doug
No kidding.. I regret not checking with you beforehand. What type of glue is it that you use Doug?

Malex...I just think that the INDY 2x4 setup will have gone faster than the Edel and 1050... cant wait to hear results.
First pass. 10.39 @ 129.87mph. 1.49 60'. Got to fix that up. It might be a 130 mph day yet.

First pass. 10.39 @ 129.87mph. 1.49 60'. Got to fix that up. It might be a 130 mph day yet.
Malex....good job with the Edel and 1050. I am glad it worked out faster than the 2x4 setup..!
If you still have the 29.5 diameter rear slicks, I would presume they are 92 or 94 or 96" circumference ?? Let us know.
ALSO...AT 129.XX MPH WHAT RPM ARE YOU GOING THRU THE
TRAPS AT ??

My 28" tall slicks are only 88"rollout. My new Hoosiers I buy will be 29" , 92" rollout which will reduce my 4.30 rear ratio to about a 4.10 ratio because of taller tire. Should help my MPH also and hopefully the stiff sidewall Hoosiers will give me better 60' times and lower ET's. Wont know for a couple of weeks before next race.When I run 129.xx I trap RPM at almost 7000 now, which I think is too high...taller tire will lower that a couple hundred rpm I would think...

Last edited:
Malex....good job with the Edel and 1050. I am glad it worked out faster than the 2x4 setup..!
If you still have the 29.5 diameter rear slicks, I would presume they are 92 or 94 or 96" circumference ?? Let us know.
ALSO...AT 129.XX MPH WHAT RPM ARE YOU GOING THRU THE
TRAPS AT ??

My 28" tall slicks are only 88"rollout. My new Hoosiers I buy will be 29" , 92" rollout which will reduce my 4.30 rear ratio to about a 4.10 ratio because of taller tire. Should help my MPH also and hopefully the stiff sidewall Hoosiers will give me better 60' times and lower ET's. Wont know for a couple of weeks before next race.When I run 129.xx I trap RPM at almost 7000 now, which I think is too high...taller tire will lower that a couple hundred rpm I would think...

My best today was 10.39 @ 129.87. That was my first run of the day. Everything after that was slower. A very hot day with real bad air. It was a good day overall though and I ended up going 4 rounds before red lighting. What happened with that is that I rolled up to stage and the damn trans brake was dead again. I had to foot brake it and cut a -.018. What pissed me off worst of all is that my trans brake toggle got shut off and I never noticed it, will be taking steps to make sure that doesn't happen again.
Day 2 tomorrow and cooler weather is expected, will be trying for a new personal best.
Mike, I don't have the rollout at the moment but they are 29.5 tall and the soft sidewall. I went through at 6500 today on my first run. I will measure the roll out once I'm back home and get that to you Mike.
I have to learn about air but the talk was that it was between 42 and 4300'

Last edited:
This is my take. Larry posts here often. He always puts a plug in for his stuff. I think he should post now. Lets here what he has to say. I don't see a peep? Why not? I've read commentary made in the past on parts customers have received. Personally I wouldn't buy anything from him.
Doug
Thanks Doug for the kind words. I just seen this conversation just this morning and thought I would respond. First there are 2 sides to every story. Second, is that I never have advertised, anywhere, a certain weight on my parts. I ask the client what they are using it on , race car or street car and Maylox stated it was a race car and he didn't want a heavy hood. I could have made that hood 9 pounds but it was made at approx. 13 pounds. Street weight is 18 pounds. That is why it is thin. Third, there is always 4 ways to pay, cash, personal check, money order or the paypal method. He chose the paypal method. Now Doug, what you have to explain to me is , why did Maylox go to the shipping dock in the United States to pick this stuff up and he clearly seen and has stated that the bumper box was bent in half and the bumper was broken. Why didn't he open both boxes and decline the delivery right then and there? Why did he take it across the international boarder and then try to get his money back from PayPal and keeping my parts in another country. Is this common procedure with the Canadian racers? Not hardly. He never even gave me an address for himself, all he gave me was a trading company address in Montana. What's up with that? And Doug,I have a lot of happy customers that don't post on any web site at all and only a few of them are on here. And when you come to one of my shops, you don't see spotless floors and spit shined vices with perfect paint schemes and clean work benches as seen in some of the pictures in this thread. And Doug, you asked for a "peep" and there it is.

Thanks Doug for the kind words. I just seen this conversation just this morning and thought I would respond. First there are 2 sides to every story. Second, is that I never have advertised, anywhere, a certain weight on my parts. I ask the client what they are using it on , race car or street car and Maylox stated it was a race car and he didn't want a heavy hood. I could have made that hood 9 pounds but it was made at approx. 13 pounds. Street weight is 18 pounds. That is why it is thin. Third, there is always 4 ways to pay, cash, personal check, money order or the paypal method. He chose the paypal method. Now Doug, what you have to explain to me is , why did Maylox go to the shipping dock in the United States to pick this stuff up and he clearly seen and has stated that the bumper box was bent in half and the bumper was broken. Why didn't he open both boxes and decline the delivery right then and there? Why did he take it across the international boarder and then try to get his money back from PayPal and keeping my parts in another country. Is this common procedure with the Canadian racers? Not hardly. He never even gave me an address for himself, all he gave me was a trading company address in Montana. What's up with that? And Doug,I have a lot of happy customers that don't post on any web site at all and only a few of them are on here. And when you come to one of my shops, you don't see spotless floors and spit shined vices with perfect paint schemes and clean work benches as seen in some of the pictures in this thread. And Doug, you asked for a "peep" and there it is.

Glasman, you are a crook, a liar and I am certain that you have spent too much time inhaling resins. You have just posted a load of garbage here, like what you sell. Glasman, go to the Paypal notes and you will find all of my detailed information, that you are saying you never had. Doug doesn't need to explain himself. He gets it that no one would build a quality car and then ask and pay for junk fibreglass. The crap you sent me isn't fit for a short track stock car. You ripped me off Glasman, you sent this **** to me knowing it was coming to Canada and you knew that I had no recourse to a refund.. I suggest that you go away and start spending more time on the garbage that you call fibreglass and less time justifying it. The pictures speak for themselves.
I hope that a Moderator sees this post and removes your access to this thread.

Day 2 at the track. Very windy day ugly side wind gusts. New personal time best though of 10.38 but @ 128mph.
Three test passes done and will be going into first round without a hood. The inner structure at the latch has broke last pass and the hood got up lots. So 68 lbs off, what to dial going into the first round Hopefully my first opponent red lights and I can run it out.

Day 2 at the track. Very windy day ugly side wind gusts. New personal time best though of 10.38 but @ 128mph.
Three test passes done and will be going into first round without a hood. The inner structure at the latch has broke last pass and the hood got up lots. So 68 lbs off, what to dial going into the first round Hopefully my first opponent red lights and I can run it out.
Keep us posted...

I went to final 7 and then took a dump on the start line. The nut behind the wheel wasn't using what's between his ears. Good to see you again Malex.

I went to final 7 and then took a dump on the start line. The nut behind the wheel wasn't using what's between his ears. Good to see you again Malex.

You had a good run going today. Yesterday I went 4 rounds and today you went 4. You took out some very tough customers today and spoiled the championship for at least 1. That's racing.

Keep us posted...

Day 2 ended up with a red light in the 1st round. The car left the hardest ever, amazing the difference without that heavy hood. Very happy with the progress made all year, consistently improving. As the day went the wind got worse and my 3 test passes got better. 10.45, 10.41 and 10.38. At this point it is very apparent that the Victor Intake with the 1050 is faster than the Indy/Eddies on my 505.

Mike - On my 10.38 run I ran 128 something MPH. I had my shift light set at 6400 and the light came on about a hundred feet before the MPH beam. I'll get you that rollout tomorrow.

Auto Transport Service
Back