• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Too many choices

What was causing the oil burning? Valve guides or rings/cylinder walls?
If you rebuild the 383 with stock stroke, I would get pistons that have valve reliefs.
When I built my 383 back around 1988, I used the Sealed Power forged pistons, sit near the top of the deck at TDC, but no valve reliefs.
I also had milled 906 heads, with port job, hardened seats and single valve springs.
I over-reved the engine (stupid shift kit that lets you select first gear at any speed), and bounced a few valves off the pistons, bending them.
The cam I was using was the Crower High performance Compu-Pro 228/236 duration @ 0.050", and 0.478"/0.502" lift 112 LSA.
They recommended EITHER the single valve spring OR dual valve springs. When I put the engine back together, I used the dual valve springs.
This combination was not that great for me. I was using a stock converter and 3.23:1 gears, and the cam seemed to be just a bit too big. Likely it was fine if I used a looser torque converter? It would rev easy to 6,000 RPM (about 150 MPH) where it would toss the A/C belts off all the time.
Don't know exactly what combination your going with, but sounds like you may want a milider (duration) cam that what I used?

What was causing the oil burning? Valve guides or rings/cylinder walls?
If you rebuild the 383 with stock stroke, I would get pistons that have valve reliefs.
When I built my 383 back around 1988, I used the Sealed Power forged pistons, sit near the top of the deck at TDC, but no valve reliefs.
I also had milled 906 heads, with port job, hardened seats and single valve springs.
I over-reved the engine (stupid shift kit that lets you select first gear at any speed), and bounced a few valves off the pistons, bending them.
The cam I was using was the Crower High performance Compu-Pro 228/236 duration @ 0.050", and 0.478"/0.502" lift 112 LSA.
They recommended EITHER the single valve spring OR dual valve springs. When I put the engine back together, I used the dual valve springs.
This combination was not that great for me. I was using a stock converter and 3.23:1 gears, and the cam seemed to be just a bit too big. Likely it was fine if I used a looser torque converter? It would rev easy to 6,000 RPM (about 150 MPH) where it would toss the A/C belts off all the time.
Don't know exactly what combination your going with, but sounds like you may want a milider (duration) cam that what I used?
Previous owner Had valve job done with hard seats and such he never drove it so heads only have about 5,000 miles so they need very little work {machinist checked and confirmed]. However he did not touch bottom end Rings and piston have 149,000 miles thats my guess for oil consumption, but still ran strong bore was very clean. A mild cam was my choice I am too lazy for headers and don't want a high stall converter I have 2.94 gear which is good for highway and country roads. Hey 451Mopar I will not cruise over 110 that's the biggest HI SPEED award [a ticket] I am willing to pay You got a pair buddy!!!!!

Did a quick look on Summit, and they only list 4 flat-top pistons (I think there were 2 pop-up High Compression listed too?)
Two of the pistons were cast stock replacement SL-1271 and Sealed Power 366, both with a compression height of 1.848", so if we take the spec 9.980" block height, 6.358 rod length, and 3.380" crank stroke, these pistons (0.030" over, 4.280") would sit about 0.084" below the deck at TDC. Compression Ratio with a 75cc Head and 0.020" shim head gasket would be 8.98:1. A 0.040" head gasket drops that to 8.60:1.
The only piston with valve reliefs is the KB-162 hypereutectic piston with a 1.908" compression height, 0.024" below deck at TDC, and 9.79:1 with 0.020" gasket, or 9.33:1 with the 0.040" head gasket.
The only forged flat top piston (no valve reliefs) is the Speed Pro 2315 with the 1.920" compression height, 0.012" below deck at TDC, and 10.62:1 compression with a 0.020" head gasket (This would only have 0.032" total quench distance with the closed chamber heads.) With the 0.040" head gasket. compression drops to 10.07:1.
All the above is using 75cc for the head volume. You need to measure the actual volume.
I would use the KB-162 pistons with the 0.040" (standard Fel-Pro head gasket) if the head volume is around 75cc. If you were using the larger open chamber heads, Probably use the Speed Pro 2315 piston and look to keep compression around 9.2:1 to 9.5:1
For a cam, I would likely use a Hughes Engines SEH1016BL-12, 210/216 duration @ 0.050", 0.480"/0.495" lift 112 LSA. This should be great for everyday use with the stock converter and gearing you have. It makes more power than you would expect from the mild specs because of the high-rate-of-lift design.
The next step up cam, the SEH1620BL-12, 216/220 @ 0.050", 0.495"/0.503" would be OK with a factory high stall converter as it likely will hit the low end torque just a bit, but should make great mid range power.

Auto Transport Service
Back