• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Too many choices

mlktst

Local time
12:40 PM
Reaction score
1967 charger 383, 516 heads, 2.94 rear gear sent motor to machine shop Monday will go and decide on build. I do not race or go to car shows. But do not like to waste time driving. I am considering a stroker Mancini 432 kit, 440 source 438 kit, or high $$ muscle motors 450 kit. Will run stock exhaust manifold Already set up with MSD and a good 750 holley built for car. Want to keep 383 it is original. Run low compression low maintenance with a little pep. Come on let me have it what do yall think I am 60 years old can resist anything except temptation in need of adult supervision. THANKS

Then keep the 383.......on a pallet in the corner, and use a 440 in the car.

Stroker is the way to go. Bigger is best. You will much more airflow - I'd recommend aftermarket heads. That means Stealths with factory exhaust manifolds. Get a custom cam from Duane Porter - Porter Racing Heads in VT. Budget should be $10K depending on what you're starting with.

It will be interesting to see what direction you go with the engine? It's way too easy to spend Other Peoples Money (OPM)

Monday i will sit and LISTEN to machinist. Which one or none he likes best. I looked at the 496 kits but the short piston skirts scare me. And in reality all I have to do is get to "package store" before 9pm being retired I have all day, but it's a long 10 miles back home. hahaha This is a driver so I will keep yall up to date It WILL NOT SIT IN GARAGE

This is a 451 Stroker.Never know it wasn't a 383. Yes it was a 400 block but using your 383 it will be about the same. 64 Fury and it was very fast and powerful. Oh, if you don't know Muscle Motors closed a few months ago.

IMG_0728.jpg IMG_0727.jpg

Darter6 thanks I guess my list just got shorter They sure have alot on the internet but just thinking if they closed or are closing I should go elsewhere. Nice car BTW

Stroker is the way to go. Bigger is best. You will much more airflow - I'd recommend aftermarket heads. That means Stealths with factory exhaust manifolds. Get a custom cam from Duane Porter - Porter Racing Heads in VT. Budget should be $10K depending on what you're starting with.
Moper are you talking about 440 source STEALTH heads? Half price of edelbrock mmmmmm I'm listening

Why not use a 3.23 ratio? Just asking, not criticizing.

Delta I live in the country Few stop signs and less red lights. Most of my driving will be hiway or country roads and normally 70 mph or more I don't waste time on the road and thanks for response
Why not use a 3.23 ratio? Just asking, not criticizing.

A 496 I did 3 years ago is coming back for a freshening this fall. I was a little averse to building it originally. But - the owner had a Shelby Mustang and drives this like it. So it's highway, drives to the track, has raced it, won his class at Carlisle and drive there... It's a very good package. It has no issues but he wants to go roller cam so "while we're in there" it will get freshened. This was a MM package but it can be done with 'Source now - you just have to be careful with the parts from them. Picky people say they need work (like me). It makes about 570hp, gets a heavy E body to 117 in the 1/4, and gets 13mpg in the car.
As far as spending - it's your money, and your usage. You can certainly rebuild the 383 for less money, and get a car that you can drive and have fun with. If you want to go fast - by what I consider fast, you have to spend the cash. Your wants and results may vary...lol.

Moper are you talking about 440 source STEALTH heads? Half price of edelbrock mmmmmm I'm listening
half the price - but needing help before you run them. That's why I say talk to shops that use them. To get Stealths actually ready to bolt on, you need to make sure the valve job and guides are right (they're a crap shoot most times), and make sure the vlave springs, retainers, and locks will work for your combo. They are a good value head. In my opinion, as delivered from Source as assemblies with the off-brand stuff - they are not ready to run. I always figure another $600-800 into them to get them ready, without any porting.
Edit - The RPMs, indeed most any replacement aftermarket head will need the same work to get them good enough to really deliver on promises. So it's not a Chinese/Source deal. Edelbrock, Indy, etc all have the same issues.

Last edited:
Well .... talked to machinist his choice was 440 source he has had good luck with them. I gave him a choice of edelbrock or stealth heads he said he would do same work to both and he has been happy with stealth. So.... Going to get finals and price 438 with heads I told him if he says it fast it will not sound like much. Remember this is not a race car or show car [but looks real good] just an old mans grocery getter I just want to have a big smile when I park. Thanks to all will keep you posted

Hey Moper when I was younger I ran 180 mph with no motor at all but I did use a parachute to slow down. Maybe thats what messed me up. I know you understand LOL

Delta I live in the country Few stop signs and less red lights. Most of my driving will be hiway or country roads and normally 70 mph or more I don't waste time on the road and thanks for response
You seem to be a man of many contradictions. :) The practical application of massive amounts of horsepower and torque is to get a vehicle from a stop to a top speed in the shortest amount of time and distance possible. A simple Slant 6 can get you to 80 MPH and keep you there all day long for a helluva lot less money, so why spend a ton of money getting to 70+ MPH faster just so you can sit there for the next couple of hours? :)

If most of your driving really is highway at 70+, I would just do a stock rebuild on the 383.

Bruzilla I will be the first to admit I aint right. I guess I would rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it. In a couple of years I probably give it to my son anyway [ 2.94 gets better mileage runs lower rpm] Thanks buddy

You seem to be a man of many contradictions. :) The practical application of massive amounts of horsepower and torque is to get a vehicle from a stop to a top speed in the shortest amount of time and distance possible. A simple Slant 6 can get you to 80 MPH and keep you there all day long for a helluva lot less money, so why spend a ton of money getting to 70+ MPH faster just so you can sit there for the next couple of hours? :)

If most of your driving really is highway at 70+, I would just do a stock rebuild on the 383.
OK Bruzilla I do listen and thanks. Found out by machinist bottom end never been apart @149,690 miles, PO did valve job & seats on heads thats it. I was cruising 100mph 2 weeks ago used a quart of oil in 2 hundred miles. So final decision made by level heads not mine was too rebuild 383 with street port on iron heads edelbrock intake and a mild cam. Ding dang dag nabbit make a man wanna drink a monkey wrench I hate it when yall make me make sense Thanks again

Hey Moper when I was younger I ran 180 mph with no motor at all but I did use a parachute to slow down. Maybe thats what messed me up. I know you understand LOL

I totally get it. You have me by some years, but I've been 170 behind the wheel of a modern car, plus 140 in a 4dr Newport, drifted that car sideways at 120 racing a Buick Grand National on the highway. Before drifting was a sport...lol. I tested a car I built for a customer who said "I want to do 150mph in it". It did 150mph + another 150rpm (speedo pegged) before I considered it a passed test drive. Lots when I was younger. Hell my 4dr non-turbo Omni did 115 while being bested by a motorcycle...lol. At least two incidents where I should have died but didn't. I learned early in life that you need to live it. For me, at times that means going really fast.

Auto Transport Service
Back